Saturday, May 13, 2017

Moss, Malachite, and Mess

My design wall is a glorious green (and other color) riot this week!

The week began with high hopes and challenging goals, only to come crashing down into a disaster of fever, strep, sinus infection, and allergies.  All for me.  I haven't been that sick for more than 24 hours in YEARS.  It was brutal, but we all survived (even the house survived, although it took my mom to help me get even close to catching up!).

Once I felt well enough to sit up but still not well enough to walk around the house doing chores, I sewed here and there when I wasn't napping.

The mini nines came first.  They're mindless to sew, as once I had my pile of green centers and green frames, I only had to add a few of other colors, and I could putter along.

Next came the orphan blocks.  I'm about half done with my plan, and if they look uncoordinated now, it's all good.  They're not supposed to make much sense!  Just nine patches with green, orange, and tan, triangles or squares.  I may have to find more green and orange bits, but I know I have enough blocks now that I could manage a bitty baby blanket even if I don't get more blocks made.  The lonesome four patches with blue and purple are still separate.  I think they'll find a friendly backing to join.

On the side, I've begun a new project.  It's scrappy, so far.  I'm using a new (leftie!) ruler, and it's perking along nicely.  The seams are beastly to press open, so my goal is two sets of four a day.  So far, so good.  To my disappointment, I will have to cut into stash and make more scraps to get enough variety, but it's all good, right?  Fresh scraps are better than stale ones!

Finally, I had great plans to whip out Spunky's quilt this week.  Hahaha.  Anyway, I did quilt it with a simple meander (and a few hidden words), and the binding will be stitched down by the end of Saturday.  It remains to be seen if I'll get a picture of it before I post.

All the best of health and green scraps to all of you!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

Charlene S said...

Fresh is always better than stale! Stash is always better than purchasing. Hope you feel better quickly...just be carefull not to have a relapse. Second time round is worse than first from my experience.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So sorry to hear you were so sick, Katie, but glad you're better. It's hard on the family when Mom is down. Loving all your little projects, and I agree, there's nothing like fresh scraps! :)

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness! I hope that never hits you again and you are feeling in the pink and sewing up the green.
What a lot of nice projects you have going!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that you were sick, but glad you're feeling better. All of your projects are coming along nicely. I love your flying geese - and I'm glad you like my new ruler - would it help to press the seams away from the "geese" part and toward the "sky" part - and then all of the units "up" in the set of four? - ;))

Chantal said...

Sorry to hear you had a rough week due to sickness. When the Mommy is sick, the house is very sad. Hope you get back on your feet real soon. Love the new flying geese units. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, NO!!! What an awful combination of ailments. Let's hear it for your Mom to the rescue!!! SEW happy that you are feeling well enough to putter through your GREEN scraps!

Ariane said...

I hope you feel better soon. You still accomplished quite a bit!!

Suz J said...

I'm so glad that other people's design walls end up a strange mix of projects that only really make sense to you! It is interesting to see each thing grow, sometimes pushing other projects out of the way.

Angie said...

It's great that you are on the road to recovery, and judging by your design wall, you have lots of good fabric therapy to help you along!

Cathy Tomm said...

Get better, glad to hear you did get a little sewing done.

Kate said...

That sounds absolutely miserable! Hopefully you are feeling much better now. Lots of fun stuff up on your design wall this week.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...