Saturday, October 7, 2017

Rouge and Rosewood

Oh, the stories not to be told via social media about allergy attacks, potty training, and lack of sleep.  I actually went back to bed Friday morning (unheard of for me) after I fed the chickens since the kids were all out of school.  We then proceeded to fill the morning with chores and the rest of the day with splendid adventures, so everyone was ready for bed early.

First, the last of the Garden Party blocks are now stitched and pressed.  Next month, they will be worked into a flimsy.  Please remind me that can wait until next month, as I have enough sets of blocks to turn into flimsies for this month already.  I may need a firm reminder.

Since those bitty blocks are so quick to make, it was easy to move on to the hourglass blocks.  Quilting on either side of the seam was a new tactic for me, and the final look pleases me greatly.  Even the binding came from my scrap bin, and two pieces from my stash form the backing.  It's a nice snuggly couch size, and now ready for Christmas giving!

The Assistant has claimed the Barn Dance blocks for her teacher gift this year, so we spent an evening laying out the blocks.  She certainly had different notions of distribution than I, as she wanted to cluster colors and I try to spread them out, but I like it.  I began sewing it together as an awkwardly sized leader and ender, in between Magnolia Mystery pieces, the aforementioned Garden Party blocks, and some orphan blocks for a body pillow cover.  Lo and behold, it ended the week in three pieces!

Unfortunately for my expectations, the orange, green, and purple orphan flimsy never found its day in the sun.  I picked a quilting thread but am no closer to a quilting decision than I was at the beginning of the week.  Next week, this will be first up, before finishing Barn Dance or sewing more mini 9s together.

Oh, yes, I worked on those mini 9s.  No pinning is required to sew them into pairs, so after a little sorting, I ran through these in batches to break up the Barn Dance assembly.  I have no idea what this quilt is going to look like, since this is another "haven't put up the blocks" flimsy, but it always works out in the end.

Assembly always goes so quickly, after many months of a few blocks here and there.  I can't believe there are so many ready to put together at once, but I'm up for the challenge!

Be sure to check out the pink projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

12 comments:

Monica said...

Oh, Garden Party! I was just looking at that pattern again last night. But I must finish these others first! It's looking really good, and I'm sure you can't wait to start getting it sewn together. :D

Marly said...

I think it's a wonder you ever get to bed at all, you are so busy! I love the randomness of your churn-dash blocks and the hour glasses. Your assistant is doing well putting her quilt together.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love the hourglass quilt and the all the wonderful bright churn dash blocks! How fun to have an assistant quiltmaker who is developing her own style!

The Joyful Quilter said...

PINK in blocks. In sections of a quilt top. And... PINK in a newly completed quilt. Congrats! on a productive week. (Even if it wasn't the week you thought it might be!)

Cathy said...

Your hourglass quilt turned out amazing! Congratulations. And The Assistant does have an eye for placement, I must admit. You two got so much done this week! Happy Thanksgiving, too!

gayle said...

You and the Assistant accomplished a lot! I'm always amazed at how much you can get done. Wonderful quilts!

Vicki W said...

Love, love, love the barn dance quilt!

scraphappy said...

So many quilts all coming together. The Garden Party blocks will be happy to wait for a few projects to reach the end of the line. Great layout on the barn dance blocks.

Lin said...

You have some lovely projects on the go there - the Barn Dance is brilliant. xx

PaulaB quilts said...

You've put in a lot of work and soon you will have the results. Congrats on your progress.

Cathy said...

It's nice to see Assistant is developing her own taste in quilt layouts. And you always have so many wonderful quilts going on and seem to get the never ending chores done. I know a little bit about allergies...who knew you could develop a terrible itch from handling/planting hyacinth bulbs!

Kate said...

You've got such fun projects up on your design wall. Even better, you've made progress on them all. How you get so much done in the middle of what sometimes has to be crazy times is inspiring. I really like the Barn Dance quilt. The Scientist in Training also likes helping me lay out blocks, she does have some very definite design ideas. It's nice to have another viewpoint to make you consider other options.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...