Saturday, October 28, 2017

You Got This, Girl

I thought I was all done quilting, but, alas, I forgot the little grey block.  I saw it when I laid it out, and quilted it.  It took me so much longer than I thought it would to pick fillers, etc.  I struggled to make some fill the space entirely, and I'm not sure I found any new ones I would repeat very often.


 But I did it.  The binding is stitched on the front, so next I'll turn and hand stitch it down.  This will be a good occupation for the next few days, since we are totally emptying our playroom/sewing room, hallway, and stairs in order for a carpet cleaner to come before the holidays.  We've had our share of accidents and messes, and it's time for a professional cleaning.


I enjoy the fun and funky look of the backing with the different thread colors and patterns.  My tension was a little rough during the meander, but I seem to have straightened that out for the most part by the blocks.  I did ruin a needle and have to clean out my machine in the middle of quilting, but everything's splendid now.

And the details: all fabric but the backing and dark blue are hand dyes by Vicki Welsh.  (Please treat yourself to a package or two when you can.  They are wonderful.  I've managed to accumulate an inspiring stash!  The quilt design is a partial ( I left off a wide row and column) by Denise Russart.

I'm afraid that other than quilting pink blocks this week, I didn't get much pink sewing in.  Too much cleaning, moving, and, you know, stuff.  To see more inspiration, join the Rainbow Scrap Challenge each Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hooray for finishing up the quilting on this one, Katie! I will have to check out Vicki's fabrics - they do look so pretty!

Vicki W said...

I love this quilt so much that I might have to make one myself. Be sure to share it in the gallery the next time you need to order so you get 20% off!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Way to go, Katie! It looks AWESOME!!! I think you chose the perfect binding for the quilt and your (near) finish makes me wish that I had been better about moving along my own Barn Dance QAL Quilt.

Kate said...

Very colorful and fun. Love all the different quilting motifs and colors that show on the back. Congrats on another pretty finish.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...