Saturday, June 30, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Progress

Hmmm... I thought I took a photo of the finished "Christmas" flimsy, but apparently, I didn't.  I guess we'll enjoy it in all its finished glory, hopefully next week!

I do have my Stained Glass Stars done for the month.  Again, some of the centers are a little jumbled, but I'm still working on dexterity in my fingers, so I'll blame it on that!
 I finally have started hand piecing again.  Holding a small needle is hard on my fingers, so I can't do too much or for too long, but I did get this one together.  It felt good to work on my hexies again.
 The biggest accomplishment of this week was the first round of teal/aqua 16-patches.  Here are 73, using up my dark strips.  I have my light aqua fabrics in 4-patches, so I intend to finish those in July.  I haven't even started the strip sets for the medium values.  Did I mention this is my favorite color of fabric?  Also, I was originally saving all my turquoise scraps to make Aegean Sea (scroll down on this post by Judy Martin), but I've decided I'll buy fabrics specifically for it to get the flow of color I want.  I'd rather have my beloved scraps in a quilt I'll keep than one that will probably be given away.
It is so hot.  I've been throwing the kids outside for at least 30 minutes early in the morning as well as doing all my garden chores between 6 and 9 since the heat and humidity become unbearable after that.  I run into the problem of my face becoming flushed and simply refusing to cool down, so I'm learning my limits.

I'm wondering what color will be enjoyed next month (tomorrow!) and puzzling what I think I can accomplish.  Angela's page is, as of this writing, pink, but since we've already had a pink month, I don't think that's it.  I have no major travel plans for July, so I'm hoping I can finish a few quilts.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Check out this weekend's lovely display of quilt blocks.

P.P.S. I'm so glad the blogger comment drama has finally been resolved!

8 comments:

Katie said...

Hurray for small victories! Hand piecing definitely does require good finger control (I have to take breaks doing bindings just to keep my hands from freezing up!) All your projects look amazing and are inspiring to see them, so thanks for sharing!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Lots of pretty turquoise in your blocks, Katie! I think your stars are just amazing! Here's hoping for a cooler week to come!

Mari said...

I love those stars! Good luck with staying cool. I was out in the garden this morning, but it was already oppressive. It's not even 10 am and it's 85 degrees! Love the hexies, too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like you've been getting some good physical (quilting) therapy for your hand. Those TEAL/TURQUOISE/AQUA bits are coming together beautifully!! Favorites of mine, as well.

Edith said...

Those hexies are exquisite, I'm also really enjoying the look of all those 16 patches in aquas. I love the Aegean Sea quilt, I quilted one for a customer, fell in love with it and plan to make one for myself as.

Julie in GA said...

So many beautiful teal and turquoise blocks! I adore your Stained Glass Stars, and the 16-patches will make a gorgeous quilt. I'm glad your hand is getting better and you can do some hand stitching again.

Marly said...

I'm glad you're back to hand sewing; your hexy flower looks lovely as do the star blocks. I just looked at the Aegean Sea pattern and I agree, it doesn't lend itself to scrappy.

Kate said...

Lots of scrappy goodness at your place! Hopefully holding a needle will get easier and easier. It has been so hot and humid. Take care when you are out in that heat.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...