Saturday, July 7, 2018

Red-Letter Day

A red-letter day may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it's been quite a week for the red scraps.  I finished all my cutting: 9 patches, stained glass star blocks, and churn dash blocks.  (And, lovely friends, before you remind me to spend more time with my children, or that time is fleeting, please don't.  I am aware.  However, I've been under some personal stress and I'm an introvert who needs time alone.  It wears on me when everyone is home all day every day despite my love for them, so sewing helps me recharge my batteries.)
I finished 90 red or maroon 9-patches, lined them up for a picture, and then picked them up without a photo!  There are already 170 blocks, so the red scraps really skyrocketed me closer to the necessary numbers.  35 more will bring me to the next stage: making star points.

I will definitively run out of red scraps before the end of the month, but that's okay.  Let me show you the aqua scraps that still need to be tackled:

 I finished the light aqua scraps.  I'm so excited to work my way through a quilt with these!


7 comments:

scraphappy said...

There is nothing wrong with needing a little time alone. Glad you found some time to recharge.

Katie said...

Isn't quilting and sewing what we're supposed to do to recharge? Kids or not, introvert or extrovert, we all need that alone time, so don't apologize. You don't owe us anything...except maybe photos of your quilts...when you remember to take them!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow, Katie!! Here's hoping that SEW many blocks means that your Physical Therapy is going well and your hand is getting better. You really got a GREAT start to RED month!!

Angie said...

Good luck with your red scraps this month - here's to running out of them! And I totally know where you're coming from with the sewing/alone time. There's no "rule" that says every minute must be spent with your kids - how the heck are they going to learn to be independent adults?!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I definitely know how it feels to need some alone time to recharge, so I'm with you there! You got a lot done, and that's a good feeling too!

maggie fellow said...

kids need away from mom time too. Great progress:)

Kate said...

I think it was important that my daughter learned is that "Mom" is a person too, who like her needs time to play with her own toys. Plus the kids benefit from learning to handle life on their own for a few hours a week (having a college student who can manage most things on her own with minimal help from mom and dad in navigating daily life shows me that). You are a better parent, wife, friend, person when you take some time for yourself. Congrats on getting so much prep work done, you'll have lots of stuff to stitch when you can squeeze in those few minutes here and there.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...