Friday, November 28, 2014

Finished Quilt: ABC quilt

A customer ordered a twin-sized ABC quilt.  My original was a baby size, so it required a little bit of resizing.  I finished many of the blocks before Miss G was born, but it took me a while to work up the nerve to quilt it.  I knew I needed to do stitch in the ditch (following the outline of the sashing strips) but  I'm not very good at it.  I tend to rush it and get stretching or warping.  This time, I took it slow... So slow... I needed three days just for the sashing, then only a day and a half for the blocks themselves.
 I have to admit, the SID was absolutely worth it.  The letters and sashing pops against the more densely quilted background, and the SID rather than an overall meander keeps the sashing looking very square.  I really love the way the quilting turned out on this quilt.
 The background fabrics was a cream and a pink fairy frost.  The sashing is a darker pink fairy frost, and the cornerstones and binding are a green metallic dot.  I collected the ABC fabrics over several years before and after the Assistant was born, as the first quilt was for her.
 My favorite fabric may very well be this F.  The colors are so rich and bright!  Unfortunately, I only have enough for a few quilts left, and then I will have to find a new F!

from the room of Zana's ninis,
katie z.





1 comment:

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish. It's a perfect quilt for a little girl. Beautifully done!

Plugging Away

Somehow I spent most of this week thinking it was the last week in March.  I’m glad I have another week! I have plenty of purple still to se...