Saturday, November 1, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Blue

the best laid plans of mice and men...

Why can't the stomach flu simply assault my whole family at once and be done?  Instead, we've had at least three of us fall ill (probably two more in less dramatic ways) spaced out by a week and then three days.  So, just when I think we're past... I managed to catch it, which makes sense since I stayed home with the sickies, cleaned up, and washed dishes and clothes.  Ug.  I do not like being bedridden.

So, complaining aside, I'm feeling much better but definitely not 100%.  Instead of lots of sewing time while Miss G slept, I spent some time sorting scraps that my daughter fetched for me when I didn't leave my bed for most of the day.  I have been cutting up all my blues, not just my lights, so that some of them are ready to go for next year's projects.  I'll still have oodles of background to cut, but at least the main color will be ready to go.  I even sorted out and trimmed the necessary triangles! That way, if Miss G turns out to be a drama queen, I'll still be able to sneak in some sewing.


I finished and pressed my brown 16-patches.  I think I'll probably be tired of these by the end of the year, since both cutting and pressing are pretty tedious with 1.5" squares, but it is definitely time to use up some of the short bits that don't work for other projects.  This should leave me with pieces that are a little easier to adapt to "scrap" projects that take more than what I consider a scrap size.

I'm trying to decide what to substitute for on point 4 patches in these tiny blocks, as the idea of cutting setting triangles for something that small makes me slightly crazy.  Blank blocks or negative nine-patches?



Halloween was lovely for the kids.  I'm buying off all their sticky candy this year, so save their teeth, so they are happily sorting upstairs.  JoJo had an epic meltdown, so I have no picture of the cutie in his tiger costume.  Just pretend.  (Imagine red eyes, snotty nose, and screaming!)

He looks so sad in this picture, but we're just trying to get a shot of the head!

Check out the blue projects that are part of the first November weekend at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

9 comments:

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. The costumes are great!

Nell's Quilts said...

Great costumes! You're doing so well to get rid of the smaller bits and planning or at least organizing for next year's round too. Why is it that Mom is always the last to get whatever is going around? Hope you're 100% soon.

scraphappy said...

The stomach flu making its rounds is no fun. Always wondering who will have it next. Love what you are doing with the postage stamps. I've done churn dashes to alternate with my little nine patches instead of the 4 patches on point. I just didn't want to do so many little diagonal pieces. Glad you are feeling better. I'm sure you'll be back at it soon enough.

Marly said...

Well done using up your tiny pieces. If they're already so small, I wouldn't put them on point if it means having hundreds of setting triangles with more in the seam allowance than visible in the top. Patchwork can be a challenge, but it has to stay fun!

Mari said...

I remember those days, when each of the kids would be sick in turn. It was crummy! At least they got better in time to trick or treat! I would not use more tiny pieces either, unless you have some you really want to use up. And I like the brown 9-patches. Actually quite calm. Hope everyone is better soon!

Deb A said...

Mom is always the last one to get sick at my house too. Hope you are on the mend and everyone is taking good care of you. Great job on the small nines.... I'd go with easy to get it done. I can't believe you are getting all prepared for next year! Smart though.... so much easier to steal away to sew if everything is prepared.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh gosh - glad you are feeling better. Epic Meltdown - so sorry... that's tough. All the costumes are so cute though!

Sheila said...

What cute little outfits. Sounds like a successful candy run. I'm sorry to hear that your family has been so sick.

Kate said...

Very cute costumes. Mine was a kangaroo (yes she's 15, it's a very long story).

I like the blank blocks the best.

Hope everyone is over the stomach.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...