Saturday, October 24, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: a Project Completed

Whew!  I'm in a bit of a brain fog, so I apologize for excessive typos.  One young man slept 12 hours one night and the next stayed up until 2 am.

I'm most pleased to share my version of Crazy Mom Quilt's "Up, Up, and Away."  While her finished on point, I opted for a straight set.  Remaining triangles made an appearance on the back of the quilt,  and I think one lonesome block of black triangles snuck into the orphan block box.  I quilted this on my friend's inherited long-arm.  I have plenty of learning to do, but I'm satisfied with the results. I love how much faster and how easier it is to quilt on a long arm, even if my stitches and movements need a little work!  This quilt finished up at 48"x60" and will be gifted to the Assistant's teacher (I think).  She has gotten a wild hair about stitching her own quilt, some it may go to a different teacher.   My bag of triangles is now satisfyingly empty, and I'm on to the next project!  (Boo!  I thought I'd snapped a square photo, but clearly not.  Just imagine with me, will you, as the quilt is square!)
I should add two notes.  There are two different backgrounds, so the reds didn't run, they simply have a darker background.  I started with a set of 10" wide strips, remaining from helping my sister make fabric covers for her bulletin boards.  When those were gone, I moved on to the next closest match, which was this cream.  Secondly, there are deliberately turned triangles.  I thought it would be interesting to have a triangle twisted here and there, swimming in its own style!

19 more 16-patches have joined the 16-patch box.  I originally thought I would be far short of my initial plsn, but I realized that plan included a twin-sized quilt.  I don't need it to be twin-sized, so I'll make a quilt out of whatever blocks I have at the end of next month.  I think I'll have a hard time giving this one away.
My Bits and Bobs are in an untidy heap awaiting a date with the iron, so more on them next week.

My grandpa's quilt is slow going.  I managed to cut all 48 blocks, including the 16 pairs of 1.5" triangles for each block!  Now I'm slogging away at the brown triangles.  Perhaps by the end of next week, I'll have a few finished blocks.

The hexagon quilt is now in three large chunks with one border applied.  This project is now at the point at which I can't carry it with me any long, so I've taken over the end of the dining room table and work on it in between morning chores and evening routines with the kids.  Obviously, I should have turned on more lights.

Be sure to check out other brown projects this Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

18 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Joyful Quilter said...

Fabulous progress this week!! I absolutely LOVE that some of the triangles were purposely oriented in a different direction! Your quilt is BEGGING for me to make one just like it... maybe next year...

Mari said...

Love the triangles quilt! It looks happy and quite snuggly.

Nell's Quilts said...

I love the effect of the little triangles on a light background. When I look at it, it creates an optical illusion - like there are holes in squares - so neat. So many great projects on the go. Never a wasted moment.

LA Paylor said...

all about color and patterning in these. Zen like. LeeAnna

Julierose said...

Beautiful finish--love the back, too. that hexagon project will be just lovely...hugs, Julierose

Kate said...

Congrats on the cool finish! It turned out beautifully. Hopefully your little guy will even out his sleeping hours soon. Lots of progress on multiple fronts.

scraphappy said...

Up up and away turned out beautifully. It is amazing how much faster and easier it is to quilt on a longarm machine. Love the turned triangles. They do add a certain charm. The varied backgrounds are really nice to for added texture. Great progress this week. Hope you get some sleep.

Jennifer said...

what a fantastic quilt! I LOVE up up and away! great job on working through all those little bits- it's so satisfying, isn't it?

gayle said...

It's beautiful! Isn't it amazing how such a simple block can turn into something so lively? It just sparkles.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Oh it turned out just beautifully!

PaulaB quilts said...

You must be thrilled that so many triangles turned out to be so successful! Great going.

Vicki W said...

Your quilt turned out great! Hope you get some sleep tonight.

Deb A said...

Up,up and away is marvelous! I hope you and JoJo both get a lot of sleep tonight. Great progress this week. It is amazing how much you can get done with a few minutes here and there.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

The fact that you get any quilting done at all is a miracle with little ones. I too remember that day. Your triangles quilt is great,and I love that there are little surprises in there. Wishing you a full night's sleep under a comfy quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the up up and away -- well done! All things will happen in good time -- no worries.

Cathy said...

Congrats on Up, Up finish. Oh, what fun! I like the simplicity of the 16 patches. I might have to use my scraps that way next year.

Sheila said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish! Front and back. Looking forward to seeing your 16 patch quilts. One of my very favorite blocks. My goodness, you have been busy!

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...