Saturday, October 31, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Brown

I've made good progress on my Bits and Bobs, even to the point of ironing them!
 Some cutie got a new outfit for her birthday.  Of course, she wanted to take the camera, so I took a number of blurries before we got a few nice ones.

I've made good, albeit slow process on my grandfather's quilt.  All those triangles are a bear.  Who wants to run a few hundred pairs of triangles through at once?  I'd fall asleep!  I did finish and trim them, so 12 of 48 are done.  I'm working on blue next, then green and red.  They'll be mixed up around the border, but I wanted to lay them out for the picture.  I'm excited that the final border is really coming together!
Last night, while the rest of the family watched the Royals vs. the Mets in the World Series, I hustled to finish the last border of my hand-pieced hexagon top.  Let me tell you a sickening story.  I put an empty, rinsed bottle of bleach in the recycling.  Miss G found it, I removed it from her possession, but one of us touched the quilt top before I washed our hands.  Oh, the horrors.  On the left border, you may be able to see the white spots.  There are also at least six hexis with bleach marks, and since each hexi is unique and some are several years old, I know I can't replace them all.  What to do, what to do, what to do?  Firstly, I will be more careful with bleach in the recycling.  (Stupid choice, Mom, and be glad she didn't ingest any.)
Anyway, I'm working on the backing next.  Below is the box of cut squares.  I may need to cut another 100 or so since the quilt is longer than I originally intended.  No worries.  I have more favorite fabrics!
from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.


15 comments:

Jennifer said...

oh, no! glad everyone is ok! can you applique some hexis on the border to cover the bleach? I gasped, too, when I read that something bad happened to your quilt! glad it wans't any worse!

Marly said...

Thank goodness the bleach didn't go further than your daughter's hands. I'm sure you can repair the quilt: appliqué as Jennifer suggested, or maybe paint sticks if the white spots are quite small.

LA Paylor said...

well, the fabrics will just look hand dyed or artistic. No worries. The more colors and pattern, the more they all blend. LEeanna

Quiltdivajulie said...

I had a quilting instructor who used fine tip sharpie markers and/or Pigma pens to literally color her fabric (shade it) when adjacent pieces didn't play well together. Perhaps that approach might work for your dilemma. Otherwise, I'd go with Leeanna's approach!

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

So much progress here on so many lovely projects and oh is she ever darling in these photos!

Ouch about that bleach...:(

gayle said...

I was going to suggest Pigma pens, too. Or just leave it as is, and it will become a part of family history...

PaulaB quilts said...

Either way you go, it is still a lovely handcrafted unique piece.

Kate said...

I hope one of the suggestions above works, it's so pretty. It is good you caught her before she did anything else with it. No matter how careful you are they are sure to find the one thing that wasn't just careful enough.

Dasha said...

So much work in all your projects. They are all looking fabulous. I wonder if the bleach marks will be visible after the quilt is quilted? Are they big? The pigma pens work quite well. I used one to fix a problem a while back where some of the white part of the selvedge was showing through on a donation quilt. It worked quite well. The fix was visible if you knew where to look and looked closely, but otherwise, the over all effect wasn't spoilt.
Miss G is such a cutie in her new outfit. Totally made me smile.

Angie said...

Bits & Bobs is looking amazing. Sorry to hear about the bleach incident. I might be worried about the bleach destroying the fabric over time. Appliquing over the damaged areas might be a good solution.

Nell's Quilts said...

So many good suggestions for a quick fix on the quilt. The bits and bobs make such a great quilt.

scraphappy said...

I have "fixed" mistakes in the past with Sharpie or Pigma pens. Maybe you can shade the fabric to repair the damage? So glad it wasn't worse, your your or for the quilt.

Cathy said...

If it is a quilt for the family I would leave as is. It tells a story!

Bits and Bobs...what size are your blocks, please?

And grandfather's quilt is looking gorgeous as is Grace. (Hope I remembered the name correctly!)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wonderful progress and quite a dilemma!! I'm in the applique camp for the Hexi fix. Good luck!

Sheila said...

Miss Cutie is growing. What a winning smile.
OH NO. Rats about the bleach. I would try the permanent markers. I used to cover nicks and scratches on my work shoes using permanent markers.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...