Saturday, October 3, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Brown

I'm surprised at how much brown is in my stash and in current projects.  My triangles, 16 patches, and Bits and Bobs are all bagged up and ready to stitch.

My scrappy Irish chain, in greens and browns, wiped out my 2" strips in those colors.  I had to raid the stash for more, and this was a great way to use up some unloved bits.  This is the quilt the Assistant stitched on all summer.  I've spent the last week quilting.  I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of my quilting plan for the open spaces, but by the time I realized this, I was too far gone to undo it all.  It's far from perfect, but once washed I hope it will be great on my FiL's bed.

My quilt for my grandpa is also moving along swimmingly.  I've completed the center and the first border blocks, log cabins.  Next will come flying geese, I think in a slightly staggered formation, and finally bear's paw blocks.  I may regret the bear's paw blocks as the final border as the fiddly bits will go on for ages!  This quilt is entirely from stash/scraps as well.  I was able to cut almost all of the logs from my scraps.  This color scheme is definitely not common for me, but since all the fabric is from my stash, I must like it well enough!

The long-neglected hexagon quilt has found new life.  I'm enjoying prepping the hexagons before speech therapy, and finding colors to finish off the edges is much more satisfying than the eternal "I don't know what's next," that was the previous life of this quilt.  I think I'll complete the edge units, then tackle stitching this whole thing together.  It will be messy, and I'm mentally preparing myself to want to give up, but I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Be sure to check out all the brown projects this week!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

17 comments:

Jennifer said...

I like your hexis! I don't do tiny things, nor applique, but I can see that it would be a convenient project to haul around! (ps: I wrote words for my blog post now!)

Deb A said...

What a great project to bring to speech. I started my hand work when my daughter started speech a few years ago. Love your quilt design for your grandpa - it will be a lovely quilt for him to cherish.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

I love your quilt for grandpa! Beautiful hexies as well :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Brown is not a go-to color for me but it is a comfort color and I do use it often . . . looking forward to pulling out my resource/crumb boxes this weekend.

scraphappy said...

Having a carry along is such a nice way to feel productive while waiting. Glad you are finding plenty of browns to use.

Kate said...

Lots of progress on multiple fronts. The quilt for your grandfather is really fun. Love the hexies. At least you now have a plan for them.

Mari said...

I always feel like hexies don't really need a plan because they're going to look good together no matter what. Love the progress on your quilt!

Nell's Quilts said...

Your grandfather's quilt is looking very nice and a perfect project to work on this brown month. It's so nice to have a hand project to take along to an appointment - never a wasted moment.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Good luck with the finishing of The Assistant's quilt!! Your other projects are coming along nicely. Have FUN fishing for more BROWN bits in your scrap stash!!

Cathy said...

I think FIL and Grandpa are a couple of lucky men!

Sheila said...

LOVE your colorful hexies! Beautiful quilt. I'm trying to include more brown prints in my scrappy quilts.

LA Paylor said...

brown quilt! so far ahead... lol
The hexies are awesome together in that patterning
LeeAnna

PaulaB quilts said...

Great man quilt you have going. The flying geese should fit right in. Good luck.

sunny said...

What a fantastic manly quilt!! I, too, have a LOT of brown scraps, and I've thought about doing a quilt with moose and bears. You've inspired me!!

Dasha said...

That's a great quilt with the animals in the centre. Just keep on plugging away with those hexies. You Will get it done, and then you'll be chuffed that you persevered.

Angie said...

Grandpa's quilt looks great so far! Your plans for finishing it sound super!

gayle said...

(I know you can! I know you can!)
You're doing wonderful things with brown. That moose is awfully tempting...

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...