Friday, October 16, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Cocoa

I'm afraid I've stalled on my only-brown work.  Instead, I've been hustling along on this:
 I'm ever so grateful to have the flying geese on.  If you look at the top left and bottom right corners, you might notice there are some complicated joins.  It made my head hurt to puzzle how best to make use of the space when I had 6" blocks and a 7" space to fill.  I love the waving flying geese, however, so it was absolutely worth the brain stretching!  The last border will be Bear's Paw blocks, and the cutting of triangles will keep me busy for a week or two.  I'm regretting leaving such a fiddly block for the largest border, but I certainly hope the effort is smashing.

My brown triangles are already stitched into a lovely top, shown here with it backing and batting.  I'll be trying out the long-arm to quilt it, so this should be finished by next Saturday.  The Assistant's teacher, who is the intended recipient, favors the color yellow, and I have only one block of yellow in it, so the backing is an eye-searing shade of yellow, with leftover triangles.  I'm excited to see this one wrap up, and to have one more empty project bag!
 My 16-patches are moving along, although I've left the browns to the last, so I have nothing new to show.  The hexagons are coming together, but slowly.  I look forward to it being a top, as I finally feel this project is no longer beyond me.

Meanwhile, someone turned one this week.  She's quite a personality already.
Be sure to check out more brown projects this week!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

15 comments:

Kate said...

That flying geese border turned out beautifully! Hopefully you'll get the bear paw blocks done with no troubles. I live the smile on the birthday girl. She does look like she's got mischief on her mind.

Julierose said...

Nice geese--so perfect for this time of year when they are all massing here...your little one looks like she has something planned ;--))) and don't they all??? So cute!! Hugs, Julierose

scraphappy said...

Happy birthday! Flying geese make such a great border. Beautiful!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Actually the wavy geese really do make it look more like flying! :) I like it!

Cathy said...

Awesome border! Perfect for that quilt. One already? Gosh time flies.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the waving geese - and happy birthday to the new one year old!

Magpie Sue said...

Teacher is going to love her quilt! And the wildlife quilt is going to be fabulous. Well done!

PaulaB quilts said...

Good for you on working out that border. Your little sweetie is quite a charmer at one year!

Angie said...

Your grandfather's quilt is looking great - love the wavy flying geese!

Nell's Quilts said...

Grandpa's quilt is coming together so beautifully. Good thinking to get that 1" space filled. The wavering flight path of the geese creates such nice rhythm in the border. Happy birthday little one. Has it been a year already?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lots of wonderful work this week and Happy Birthday, Toddler!!!

sunny said...

Fantastic flying geese! They're not my favorite to make, but I thinkthere are some on the agenda tomorrow.

gayle said...

I love those wavy geese! So perfect for that quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing the bear's paws join it!
Happy birthday to the little one!

LA Paylor said...

yea the geese are so cool on this quilt. Nice! And the baby has a personality?? Good the world needs women to have big personalities! LeeAnna

Sheila said...

Your brown quilt is beautiful! Love the geese and looking forward to seeing this one all together. Grandpa is getting an awesome quilt.
Birthday girl is cute as a button : )

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...