Saturday, October 15, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Odd Fellows

I started another project.  (I am out of handwork, peeps.  There's a serious need for handwork during therapy sessions, so, a new project.)  I've actually had this pattern in hand for years (maybe 6 or 8?), set aside fabrics for it, and chickened out.  Well, I'm chickening out no more.  You'll just have to wait and see what's next!  If you're wondering, the hand dyes are shade packs from Vicki Welsh.  Please buy some; you won't be sorry!
 For my real "rainbow scrap challenge project," I'm proud to present enough block quarter units to make 33 blocks.  I also cut the units for the last two blocks, so cutting on this baby is officially complete!  I ironed all the quadrants Friday, but that's about the bulk of my sewing since the kids had a day off, and we had a funeral for Spunky's best friend's dad to attend.  Funerals are hard on the best of days, and JoJo had a panic attack when faced with the hundreds of people that packed the church.  Nobody die for a while, okay?
 Finally, as an "on the side" scrap project, I finished my bricks quilt.  It's about 60" square, bound with the bright green of some of the bricks, and backed with a green pine tree fabric (from my Wisconsin trip) and my ubiquitous garnet Kona fabric.  (As an aside, I'm really tired of the remnants of the garnet Kona, purchased when I made wedding dresses for all the little girls in my family for my brother's wedding.  I'm still trying to use it up, but there's a heap of it in each scrap size, and a decent sized piece still in the stash.  There is such a thing as too much of a good thing, and this fabric is it!)

Friday night, I helped the Assistant assemble the smoker while DH assembled the chicken plucker.  Today (Saturday) is turkey butchering day, which is long but once it's done, I'll have a few less morning chores!

Be sure to check out the cheerful Saturday posts this week!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

14 comments:

Kate said...

Wow you got a lot done this week. Your bricks quilt turned out beautifully and I like your scrappy golden blocks. Have a great weekend.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like those Oddfellows blocks! Lots of little pieces in those! The bricks quilt looks great, too. I know what you mean about having a little too much of something left over. I have a couple of pieces like that, and I still don't know what to do with them!

gayle said...

I love your Oddfellows! That quilt is going to be stunning!
I remember well the joys of poultry butchering day... I always focused on how good those birdies were going to taste come winter. 8) Good luck!

LA Paylor said...

the turkey plucker... our lives are different for sure!
LeeAnna

PaulaB quilts said...

Congrats on the bricks finish. My daughter made her bridesmaid dresses, green and red for a December wedding. Later I made her a tree skirt using those scraps and others. She has used it for over 20 years now. Just an idea for you.

Chantal said...

I understand what you mean by "too much of a good thing" and being tired of always playing with the same fabric. I used parts of it in many pieced backing. Odd Fellow blocks look fantastic. Can't wait to see this one come together AND the new hand project too. ;^)

Jennifer said...

can't wait to see what your new hand project is. I usually try to have some knitting going for piano lessons and such (prevents me from falling asleep and snoring on the piano teacher's couch...) I'm always glad to get our turkeys done, too, but we have another month to go. it feels good to get stuff done, and checked off in the fall, doesn't it?

The Joyful Quilter said...

A new project, cutting complete, AND a newly finished quilt? Hooray!! You had a productive week.

Cathy said...

Love the Odd Fellows! I don't envy you dressing Turkeys. I used to raise chickens and never looked forward to butcher day and the smell of wet feathers and chickens running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I've never raised Turkeys. I'll bet they fill up a freezer fast. (We are actually getting ready to raise chickens again next year after I retire).

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

Congratulations on the lovely Bricks Quilt Finish! :)

That Odd Fellows is something that I am familiar with ...did a variation of that block in a quilt last year...( Crosses and Losses ) and it's been very tempting to do the Odd Fellows one down the line at some point! :) Bucket List, ha ha!

Deb A said...

Oh my, what a week but some beautiful things created. I just love the bricks quilt. Those pops of the green are so pretty. Odd fellows is looking great. So sorry JoJo had a tough time at the funeral and you as well. Big hugs to you both. Hope the Turkey process goes well and what a blessing to have that ready for you for meals.

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilt and blocks. Turkey sounds wonderful. Crowds bother a lot of people. Some more than others. I avoid them when possible.

Angie said...

Good luck with your new project - can't wait to see the results! Those RSC blocks look amazing - what a great block pattern!

Laurie said...

What beautiful projects! Love your brick project. The colors are beautiful...

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...