Saturday, October 29, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Chaos or Sparkle?

My Odd Fellows blocks are officially a flimsy.  I even (gasp) basted it Friday morning.  Basting is quite difficult at this stage, since sitting on the floor or bending over are not particularly compatible with 32 weeks of pregnancy.  I feel a little uncertain about the scrappiness of this quilt.  Does it sparkle or is it chaos?  Either way, it is what it is.  I'll be quilting an all-over meander, as texture won't show much on this!

Then my poor Bits and Bobs saw only a moment or two under the needle.  Despite all the tiny nines I stitched as leaders and enders this month, there were only enough sets of five to make three.

The final teacher quilt for the year is well underway.  I have 35 blocks done out of the 100 needed.  I decided, after much indecision, so start a plus quilt.  There was a quiltalong for it, but all the activity is taking place via Instagram or Twitter, not blogger, so I'm sure out of luck.  I don't need one more account to manage.  I'll sew it at my own pace, and that's fine.


Finally, my first appliqué is recognizable.  This is the largest bloom in the design, so we'll see if the smaller sizes are easier to manage.  I found, when I reached finally assembly of the three sections I made, that they didn't fit as nicely as I would have hoped.  Fortunately, it was salvageable, but I've learned to cut the pieces with a larger seam allowance to give myself a little wiggle room.

Our chimney brush is finally released, but now we need to look into a liner, as there is nothing in the flue above our stove insert, which is kind of a big no-no.  (Why don't "people" do things right the first time?)

The Assistant only needs 33 more blocks to be ready to assemble in clusters.  Last time, when it came to this point, she was done sewing.  She was disappointed when I offered to sew for her, so I guess she's ready to take on a new challenge!

Be sure to check out all the orange and gold projects this Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

15 comments:

Chantal said...

Love your Odd Fellow Quilt and it doesn't say chaos to me. I have no idea how you manage to baste it at 32 weeks of a pregnancy! Brownie points to you! I agree with you as I too don't participate in sew along that are only on twitter, Facebook or Instagram. I might get a FB account but I still haven't get to that. Your applique is magnifique! Awesome!! Enjoy! ;^)

LA Paylor said...

It sparkles in the picture. It probably is overwhelming when you're close up but it is a sparkler! There is order in the pattern and I just love how it showcases all the fabrics. I like a scrap quilt. Let me tell you, I couldn't wallow on the floor basting like I used to either but it's a knee thing.
LeeAnna

Ariane said...

Your odd fellows quilt is beautiful. It makes a great fall quilt. Your blocks are also looking great!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your Oddfellows quilt! The one blue block is such a fun surprise! Good for you for getting it basted. I avoid that crawling around on the floor thing, too, but you definitely have an excuse!

Kat Scribner said...

It is not chaos, it is AMAZING! I love it. The blocks and units look so intricate and small. It is a classic.

PaulaB quilts said...

The quilt does sparkle and you've done a great job. The Rose is very lovely too.

Cathy said...

I agree that Oddfellows is not chaos - it makes me want to crawl right under it and take a nap! I love the appliqué rose, too. You have so many wonderful little projects going, baby included, LOL!

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful sparkle!!!! Lots of scrappy goodness.

claudia said...

Your Odd Fellows quilt is great! I say it sparkles!!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Have you tried combining pin basting with board basting? I find it much easier on my back that pin basting on the floor. http://quiltdivajulie.blogspot.com/2016/07/basting-quilt.html (post on my blog that shows my system)

Mari said...

Love the Odd Fellows quilt, especially the blue block! It definitely sparkles. Good luck with the teacher quilts!

Jennifer said...

wow! hats off to you with such a tiny pieces quilt! I'm "doing" the charming QAL, too, but not much progress other than a few piles of cut squares. I actually find instagram much easier and less time consuming than blogger.

Julie in GA said...

Your Odd Fellows quilt is fabulous. I love the combination of scrappiness with the very regular block pattern, and I don't find it to be chaotic at all.

Kate said...

Wow! Your Oddfellows quilt turned out beautifully! I really like the little bit of teal in the one corner. It definitely sparkles! I love your applique rose. Looking forward to seeing that project come together.

Elle said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your Odd Fellow quilt. It totally sparkles. The stand out block is an awesome addition.

When I google Odd Fellow Block this is not what comes up. Where is your pattern?

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...