Saturday, October 8, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Say What?

Are you sure it's still Saturday?  Yesterday was so long I was sure more than one day passed!  Miss G has definitely entered the destructive 2s phase (she turns 2 next week), and I will confess I have no patience with her antics.  It's too hard to keep up with JoJo's self-helping messes to add more to the mix.

Then there's the chimney.  I asked DH to clean the two flues in preparation for winter and, in the midst of his work, JoJo nearly fell off the ladder because a big sister failed at watching him, so DH was distracted and twisted the brush the wrong way.  It detached in the chimney.  There are so many bends in our chimney that after 2.5 hours (DH laughed every time he looked at me because I had a "Mary Poppins" face), we are no closer to removing it.  I think a call to a professional may be in order.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to wash ash out of your hair and ears?  I didn't until last might

This week, we also caught and rehomed roosters and began to rearrange hen houses in preparation for winter.

So, sewing...  I basted my bricks quilt, chose a thread color, and have decided a simple meander will be just the ticket... next week.
PK, JoJo, and the Assistant
(pink marks are from marking for embroidery and applique, and will go away)

I finished PK's stocking, leaving only DH's.  I won't be moving on to his just yet, as I asked and heard back that Prairie Moon Quilts will be releasing one or two new stocking patterns this year.  If I wait for the new one, I won't have to repeat any patterns!  Here are the three I've finished this fall, all using therapy waiting times to make progress.

Ooh, I forgot to take a picture, but I did get 165 hourglass blocks cut for next year!  I had to repeat about 20 fabrics, but I forgot that the Assistant took a good share of my 2.5" box for her scrappy quilt, so I really have been using it!

Finally, I worked and worked and worked on my Odd Fellows blocks.  The second subunit is complete, even ironed, and I've begun sewing the two units into pairs.  Then I realized I cut 33 block sets.  I have 53 already finished, so that adds up to 86.  Not 88.  Ugh.  I'll cut the remaining pieces once these 33 blocks are assembled, since I'm still not entirely sure I have exactly the right amount.  Even counting by 10, with so many pieces, the numbers blurred after a while.  I did cut the borders and binding, since sewing pairs had to stop when the littles became a little too "helpful."

What excitement has carried you through life this week?  (Be sure to take a few minutes to browse all the delightful orange and yellow projects this weekend.)

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

8 comments:

LA Paylor said...

I am still chuckling at the boots. Imagine them all hanging by the fireplace! What a clever girl
LeeAnna

Kate said...

Love those stockings! Very, very cute. You should post a picture of the fireplace (?) when you get them all hung up this holiday season. Hope your littlest helpers stay out of trouble for a bit.

Quilter Kathy said...

My life seems very boring compared to yours!
Enjoy all the activity because soon enough they leave home and it's just you and the quilting! LOL

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love the boots - such an adorable idea! We all will want to see your fireplace when they are hung up for Christmas!

claudia said...

I know you are doing this already, but enjoy all those "special moments" that the little ones give you! They are too soon not little anymore! Besides, these make the greatest stories for the future.
I love your boots to hang on the fireplace. So cute. I can't wait to see the new one you make next!

Quiltdivajulie said...

All of that sub-unit stitching will come together soon enough. Hang in there!!

PaulaB quilts said...

The boots will look great hung on the mantel, as long as the chimney is no longer raining ashes. Oh, you poor thing! But those little smiles and laughter make up for it all. Good luck with the 88 blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Counting and recounting the Odd Fellow block components would be my lot in life, as well. You'll get it all worked out... EVENTUALLY!!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...