Saturday, May 27, 2017

Lime, Sage, and Apple

This week saw an end to school, summer plans initiated, and crazy days and nights.  No tornadoes or hail arrived, thanks be to God.  The first day home was a little rough, but at least DH and I are on the same page, which means it will all get better!

I only managed four Bits and Bobs this month, with none of them being green.  Alas, my 1" strip box is completely empty, so the last six blocks will have to be patient.  I may decide to cut some 2" strips in half, but I have a few last nines to sew up, and then I'll decide.

My Barn Dance blocks are HUGE this month!  It seems the 24" and 2 - 16" blocks contained green while only one measly 6" did also, so that's what I sewed.  I'm looking forward to laying out this quilt.  These are hoarded "Vicki Welsh" hand dyes on a lovely dark blue batik background.  Every month I love seeing these blocks come together.

Finally, I have this other crazy project going: based on Robert Kaufman's "Geese Remixed" pattern, resized for my 2.5" strips in teal, grey, and white.  I'll be making the blocks twice to make it large enough, and this second round I've decided to add more white.  I won't sew together either half until I have more blocks made so I can rearrange and redistribute.  I've been using a new ruler for lefties, and it's been a lovely experiment.  When I get farther along, I'll discuss my opinion of this ruler.

Next week involves travel for me and four of the kids, so I'm not sure I'll be able to start the new color in time for next Saturday.  I'll come up with something, but it may not be in the right color!

I'll be linking up with other green projects this Saturday.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

10 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I admire you for working with the small stuff. At this point in my life, I can't imagine piecing 1" pieces, but maybe in the future (probably the far future) LOL

Deb A said...

Traveling with 4 of the kids - hope everything goes smoothly and everyone has lots of patience! You do such a great job balancing sewing, kids, gardening and managing the house I am always amazed at everything you get done. Hope you have a great week.

Nell's Quilts said...

Those geese blocks will make such a lovely quilt. I'm partial to that colour combination. Enjoy the trip. I'm sure you have many ideas for keeping the kids happy and occupied on the road.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhh I like the Barn Dance blocks.... I started and fizzled out... now I can't remember why - you make me want to get back to it!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I enjoyed looking at your design wall - lots of interesting things going on! The teal, gray, and white geese are so pretty together! Wishing you a safe and fun trip!

Chantal said...

Love the Barn Dance blocks. The dark batik is gorgeous! It makes Vicki's fabrics pop. Lovely. Love the color combo for the flying geese. I am quite intrigued by the left hand ruler. I'll read your review for sure. ;^)

Magpie Sue said...

I'm sorry I saw those flying geese; now I want to make some too! Love the giant Barn Doors. That's always been a favorite pattern of mine. Safe travels!

scraphappy said...

What a fun collection of blocks this week. Such a wonderful variety!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE your Geese Remixed!!! Jealous of the progress on those Churn Dash, as my have been shelved for quite some time (but, Quilt Camp is coming.) Your version of Barn Dance is going to be spectacular!!

Kate said...

The Geese Remixed is going to be gorgeous. Love the black and white look of those blocks. Safe travels this week.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...