Saturday, August 11, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Citrus

As is the norm for the start of the month, this week involved cutting.  In reality, when paired with weed pulling, I allowed myself too much cutting.  This means ice and K-tape have been put to use again, and I’m hunting for a compression glove for my hand.  My bones don’t like this weather.

I cut my last seven (I think) Stained Glass Stars, a heap of churn dash blocks, and too many nine-patches.  Too many, you might say?  Aye, too many.  I didn’t need as many as I cut from scraps, but I have a plan for them, so I’ve sewed them anyway.  After my sister’s baby is born and has a name, he will need a placemat, and yellows and oranges will be perfect.



One more apron is sewn and the last apron cut means I could tide up another pile on my cutting board.  Next week, I’ll sew up the apron for myself and be done.  Of course, the Assistant is feeling the need to sew too, since school starts Friday.

Then, I took the cutting too far when I began cutting for Aegean Sea.  Initially, I intended to plot the whole quilt in scraps, but I found another idea more appealing.  All the saved scraps were turned into 16-patches over the last two months.  Now I’ve begun cutting yardage, and the miles of 1.5” strips proved to be more than I should have taken.  I so enjoyed cutting for a new quilt (and escape the five cases of strep) that I disregarded all sense, apparently.  Not to worry, Saturday has other things in store so I will behave myself.

Five cases of strep at once proved to be a doozy: two different kinds of antibiotic, four different doses, and five trips to the pharmacy since the doctor’s nurses failed me on sending all the prescriptions to one pharmacy, as well as dosing appropriately.  At least the worst, for most of the kids, was the horrible fever rather than the excruciatingly sore throat.  Unfortunately, Spunky is either allergic to her antibiotic or accidentally stuck her face in some ragweed when she picked flowers on her walk home.  Now her face is swollen and blistering, so her improved health was short lived.  My mom will examine her and tell me if we should head in for a doctor visit or not.  Poor thing.  Fortunately, despite an itchy throat, I’ve so far avoided the scourge.  We’ll see if I survive the next week!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Check out all the other orange lusciousness this weekend.

3 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There is really never a dull moment at your house, Katie! You got a lot done this week in spite of it all. I hope the strep is on the tail end of its run, and that you were able to stay away from it!

Julie in GA said...

Wow, you've had a busy week at your house! I hope all the kids are feeling better soon and that you stay healthy. Take it easy on that healing hand.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, Katie, here's hoping you avoid catching strep!! Sunny stacks of ORANGE scrap and I'm glad to her other activities occupied your attention today. Give that cutting hand a rest!!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...