Saturday, August 25, 2018

Survival!

The first full week of school is over, and we made it!  Poor JoJo contracted a cold from a classmate, finds homework overwhelming, and is dead tired.  He’s doing great, better than I could have hoped, as are the big kids.  So far, homework has been manageable, although I still maintain there’s way too much of it.

On the home front, the quiet days meant chores were knocked out early, what was cleaned stayed clean, PK took fabulously long naps, and we went for a walk almost every day, either at home or at the park.  Miss G will be thrilled with preschool starts since she finds my company boring and only wants to watch videos.


In the sewing room, with a miraculously clean floor since PK and Miss G don’t get into too many things (there’s no one else to distract me), I slogged through the last of my Stained Glass Stars.  If I have my numbers right, this is it.  Next month I’ll start puzzling over layouts.  I think I need to get a 24” ruler for cutting strips; the initial strip cutting really seems to be where I get into the most trouble.

I also started on my Teal Mini Swap.  (No peeks!)

My bonus sewing revolves around the various parts and pieces for Aegean Sea.  I had a serious disappointment Sunday when I discovered/realized I’d cut all my quarter square triangles too large.  They were all trimmed down, and I’m back on track.  It won’t be finished before the end of the month, but I’ll keep at it!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Mari said...

I am absolutely in love with those stained glass stars! That's going to be a beautiful quilt. Can't wait to see it! Hope the school year settles out pretty soon!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely blocks! And good luck for back to school...

Julie in GA said...

Your Stained Glass Stars are absolutely gorgeous! I love the bright colors against the dark blue background. Can't wait to see them all together! What size are your blocks?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like it was a pretty smooth week for back to school! Your stars are beautiful with the oranges!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous Stained Glass Stars!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Miss G will be off to preschool?!?! What are you and PK going to do with no one else at home? I say, teach him to sort scraps while you sew, sew, sew!!! :o))

Kate said...

I hope JoJo is feeling a lot better, it's miserable to have a summer cold. Your Stained Glass Stars are beautiful! That's going to be a gorgeous quilt. Hope the homework settles down a bit once class gets going. The SIT got very good at getting her homework done as time allowed. She liked being free once she got home.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...