Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Finished Quilt: Rainbow Baby

Huzzah!  The quilt for my newest nephew (due in September) is finished.

There are a number of "unusual" items of note about this quilt.  Most commonly, I plan the quilts by the time the expectant mom is 20 weeks pregnant.  This time, I had the idea for this quilt in my mind as a totally separate project from a baby quilt, but then I dithered about what to make for my sister.  This quilt was an easy one to cut, and I realized it was perfect for my sister since this baby is a "rainbow baby," (ie, born after a miscarriage or pregnancy loss).  We can remember sweet Emilie at the same time as we celebrate the new baby boy. (Who is still nameless, by the by.  My sister is on the hunt for the perfect name and is apparently coming up short.)

Finding the right fabric was a struggle.  I'm still not in love with the indigo and purple, but I think they work in the end.

 I struggled my way through feathers on this quilt.  Originally, I had the feathers planned for the white and the straight lines for the rainbows, but I realized the small distortions in the logs would make the straight light quilting very obvious and very uneven on the rainbow section.
The quilt finished roughly 52" square, is backed in brown, and bound in a lovely rainbow stripe from the Left-Handed Quilter.  The binding fabric is a bit heavier than normal quilting cotton, but it works perfectly for the quilt, and I took my time sewing it down, so no issues there.

It washed up splendidly.  I did soak it ahead of time, due to the juxtaposition of white to rainbow fabrics, and only experienced a bit of dye release from the brown backing.  I'm thrilled with no bleeding!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Cute quilt!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I LOVE your Rainbow quilt and was reading right along when I came to the binding part - I had forgotten all about sending you that rainbow striped fabric!! I remember it being a bit thicker than regular cotton - and I'm so glad that you found a use for it and that it worked out well - ;))

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...