Monday, April 22, 2019

Tiny Tuesday: Spinning Star

Good morning, fellow Rainbow Scrap Challengers!  If you are new to my blog, my name is Katie and my blog, Zana's Ninis, is named after my oldest, who called sewing "nini" when she was tiny.

My block contribution to the Tiny Tuesday blocks is a block I'm calling "Spinning Star."  My contrast between background and star pieces is perhaps a bit lacking, but I was determined to stick to my scraps, and this is what I had in large enough pieces.

To begin, cut 4 - 1.75" x 2.75" pieces from your star fabric  (mine is blueish)
and cut 4 - 1.5" x 2.75" rectangles and 8 - 1.75" squares from your background fabric (mine is greenish).
 Take your background squares and mark them on the diagonal with your favorite marking tool.
Using 4 background squares and the 4 star rectangles, sew one background square along the diagonal onto each rectangle.  Make sure you sew them all from the same corner.
 Trim the extra fabric.
 Press.  I chose to press toward the background fabric.
 Repeat on the other end of the rectangle with the four remaining background squares.  Be sure to keep your sewing line parallel to the other end!
 Trim away the excess.
 Press.
 Now lay out your unused background rectangles next to your finished star points.
 Sew each background rectangle to a star point.  Press toward the background rectangle.
 Now you should have four lovely block quarters!
 Sew together your block quarters.  Press as desired.  (I like to spin my seams in the center to reduce bulk.)
Your block should measure 5" unfinished!  This will be a straight set block, so be sure to follow the directions for the framing that Angela put together!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

I always wondered about the name of your blog. Thanks for sharing that tidbit! The Spinning Star block is a nice addition to the Tiny Tuesday collection (and I think it has plenty of contrast.) Thanks for sharing the tutorial with the group!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Katie, that's a pretty block! Thanks for the directions. I'll enjoy making one this week!

Deb A said...

Love finding out how your blog name was created! I always wondered. Great little block you created.

gayle said...

I too had often wondered about your blog's name. Thanks for the explanation!
This is an adorable little star! I've been tempted by the tinies, but haven't succumbed yet. Though I think my days are numbered...

Susie H said...

Made my star this afternoon and it turned out perfect. Thank you for easy-to-follow directions and also for stepping up to the plate with the pattern.

Kate said...

I like you subtle background for this block.

maggie fellow said...

enjoyed making this block - thank you

Plugging Away

Somehow I spent most of this week thinking it was the last week in March.  I’m glad I have another week! I have plenty of purple still to se...