Saturday, April 13, 2019

Challenging Stitching

There's a reason (or a few) why I chose the Rainbow Scrap Challenge as the vehicle to make my Lepidoptera quilt.  This week, I remembered them all!  The cutting list for this giant butterfly (over 36" wide) includes four different fabrics, for which I substituted two half yards of V and Co's Confetti Ombre.  I didn't cut 4 or 6 of one size on a few pieces, so when I got down to the bottom wings, I had to borrow some lighter fabrics.  Then, alas, I flipped the pieces, and so the angles are in the wrong direction.  There's also a large-ish pucker on the right side where the wing first meets the body on top.  I somehow cut one wing meeting the white in a different place than its mirror wing.  I'm determined to enjoy how much work I put into this lovely butterfly and, now that I've publicly "grieved" over my mistakes, I'll just pretend they aren't there!

(And, lovely quilters, don't worry that I'm terribly stressed about this block.  Quilting is my relaxing hobby, so I've learned to let go of mistakes.  It's done, and that's the important thing!)

In between all the lovely (and stressful) sewing, I made some very easy and relaxing 16-patches.  There are certainly more to come!

Next week, my plan is to tackle some easier Garden Mosaic blocks.  Oh, yes, and today I need to make my block for Tiny Tuesday so I can have the post ready (eek!).

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Please check out the aqua inspiration this Saturday!

9 comments:

quiltingbydawn said...

The butterfly looks amazing!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your butterfly and noticed NO mistakes!!

maggie fellow said...

wow - the butterfly looks very complicated. I have made some of her other patterns and they were painstaking. good job

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful butterfly, I don't see any mistake here, just beauty. So so pretty!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those butterflies you're making are so amazing - we're all just in awe, mistakes or not! Although it can be stressful, sometimes working through a tricky block is invigorating, too!

Kat Scribner said...

The butterfly is just gorgeous!

gayle said...

I love that gorgeous butterfly! I think the angles on the lower wings look like they ought to be that way, so obviously this is an improvement, not a mistake!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Two SMALL errors on a LARGE butterfly? SEW glad to are choosing to pretend they don't exist!! I certainly don't see them from here (and they will surely "quilt out.")

Auntie Em said...

Your aqua butterfly is just beautiful. We are all our own worst critics. Glad you got it to the finish line.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...