Friday, April 5, 2019

Favorite Color Front and Center

I love it when we get to the teal/aqua/turquoise scraps every year.  These are by far my favorite fabrics, and I could sew with them for months on end without getting bored.  (Not all year, mind you, as I would get bored then.)

This week was the beginning of the month, so I spent many days cutting and cutting and cutting.  I prepared my "big" project for the month, a Sister's Choice block using bee fabrics.  We'll be harvesting honey from our bees soon, so this is a timely project.

Cutting also included my scrap basket.  It was overflowing, mostly because these Great Granny Squared blocks produce a mountain of triangles.  I'm finding that if I'm mindful, the scraps can fit the size I need for Garden Mosaic blocks, so it's really going to be just fine that I have lots of extra neutral triangles.

My sewing this week, after the cutting was complete, centered around my Great Granny Squared blocks.  I had lots of two or three solids, and not long pieces of much else, so five blocks it is for the month.  I like the development of this quilt!

I did finish St. Patrick's Breastplate on the 31st of March!


from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

13 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

I call these granny square blocks . Lovely colors.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Great Granny blocks are wonderful! I went and looked at your St. Patrick's quilt, and it is gorgeous - that's a great finish, Katie!

Quilter Kathy said...

These blocks are gorgeous!
I am learning to like aqua, and your fabrics are irresistible!

grammajudyb said...

Lovin' your Great Granny squares! Well done!

Jo said...

Can't get enough aqua this month. Its my happiest color. Love your grannies. And the St. Pat's quilt is stunning.

Mari said...

I love aqua, too! Your blocks look great!

Marly said...

The subtle variations in colour in your granny squares are spectacular.

Susie H said...

I thought I was going to have a hard time with aqua, but after seeing so many color-pulls and fingering through my stash, I think I may be able to have a go at it. Your Granny blocks are beautiful!

Auntie Em said...

What lovely blocks! I have a problem distinguishing aqua/teal and turquoise. Yours all work so well together.

gayle said...

Your Grannies are wonderful! And you're right - it's never a bad thing to have neutral triangles on hand. Especially while working on something as triangle-intensive as Garden Mosaic!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely blocks, and lovely colors!

Debi said...

Oh my, your blocks are lovely! The colors are right up my alley as I love aqua, turquoise, teal. I can't wait to see how they progress.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm with you, Katie! AQUA is my favorite month of the RSC year, too.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...