Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Birthday Goodies!

First off, on the sideways picture - it shows up sideways even though it shows on my computer as upright.

Yesterday was my birthday. Why does everyone always ask, "How does it feel to be X years old?" I don't know! The same as it felt the year before, and the year before. I remember feeling that 21 was a let-down because I don't drink much, and that's really the big "freedom" for 21. Eh.

Anyway, I am no longer 21, or 22, or... but I did get 13 3/4 yards of fabric for my birthday! I love this rose applique design for a wall hanging. I'm not sure when I'll make it, but it's lovely to be sure. I won't use a multicolored batik for the borders because I like single-color borders, but I have plenty of time to dream over what I would use instead! Maybe some of my new fabric!


I also have a new sewing basket. I think I will fill it with all my hexagons. (I still haven't explained that, I think, but it will have to wait! I need to finish a little to take a picture.) It's a little big to take places, but I was using ziplock bags that had seen better day; one didn't close because the bottom had ripped open. Oops. But I do hate to throw useful things away, so I made it work.

With the new sewing basket, you can also see some of my new fabric. These are the non-star and non-snowflake prints my DH purchased for me all by his little self. He was pretty chuffed with his success! He wants me to make a skirt out of the bottom fabric. It's so pretty, and busy without being large-print busy.


Here are all my luscious new star and snowflake prints. Only two are repeats of what I already own (pretty good for non-quilters who don't look at my stash very often at all!). I will be washing the 1+ yardage and steam ironing the 1/2 yard and fat quarters this week. Right now, I'm enjoying stacking and re-stacking them to my heart's content.

Needless to mention, the Assistant has taken possession of a good number of the fat quarters. I'll get them during her nap if I can!

I'm headed in the wrong direction for stash-busting, but that's okay - I love it all!

In non-quilty news, my sister and boyfriend became engaged 30 minutes before my birth-day began! Hooray! We opened a bottle of pink champagne someone gave us to celebrate the excitement. Now I can pull out the quilt I've been saving for her and make sure it doesn't smell dusty. She wants some sewing and quilting things made before she gets married, so it's going to be busy around here!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

sewkalico said...

Belated birthday wishes!! Looks like it was a great quilty one!

Linda said...

Happy Birthday!! Great new fabrics! The new sewing basket is wonderful! Great size to have!
Everyone did a wonderful job of picking out material! Congratulations to the newly engaged! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! lol Good luck getting your assistant to hand over the material! Alexxa (my granddaughter) took home some of "hers" yesterday and placed them in her doll house so looks like I should make some doll quilts. :)

Suzanne said...

What wonderful b-day gifts.

Here's another...you won the giveaway, Mr. Elephant, at my blog...congrads! I tried to e-mail you for your address, but it just bounces back to me.

Please e-mail me
Suzanne
quiltersr at peoplepc dot com

Alzbeta said...

Lovely sister! I miss you...but am super excited for my beautiful quilt! You are so talented and that one has been a favorite for a long time. You should post a picture of it because it is that fun :).

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...