Sunday, February 8, 2009

Stash Report Week #6 and Goals

I finished my 6 charity blocks, quilted my two rows, cut my 6 Japanese blocks... so far, so good. I even accomplished some of my bonus goals, like sewing 6 blocks, cut the strips for the last 60! Japanese blocks, and sewing myself a skirt (which is 4 1/2 yards out - there's a 1/2 yard of scraps in my drawer), but then...

I pushed a few buttons and bought some fabric. First, the Timeless Treasures "tile" looking chocolate and turquoise was for the above-mentioned skirt. I needed 5 yards and only had 2 1/2. I also bought the kokopelli fabric for DH, who likes such things, and it was on clearance. The red and cream I bought because I am collecting star fabrics for a hexagon quilt - someday I'll explain it, but not now (I say that often!). That was 4 1/2 yards in.

The blue and purple I'll blame on DH. He has this "problem." Yesterday, he spent all day outside building cold frames. There were some complications, so a 2-3 hour project turned into a 9 hour project. It was a LONG day, but since he's gone that much during the week, and it was a beautiful day, I can't complain. The girls and I gathered sticks for kindling, chopped up some branches DH trimmed away from the house last week, raked the mulch off the beds so they start warming, and generally cleaned up the yard. I also finished my hand quilting for the week, and I hand-stitched the hem of my new skirt. Yipee! There was also the laundry, meal preparation, and I baked some bread - yum. At the end of the day, DH felt really bad for leaving me with the girls all day when Screamer was showing off her lungs, but I really wasn't upset. He was working hard the whole day, and sometimes projects with recycled lumber just take longer. Out of self-inflicted guilt, he took me to JoAnn's to buy fabric to make birthday dresses for the girls (March and April birthdays). That was 4 yards in.

So:
IN this week: 8 1/2 yards
IN YTD: 61 1/4 yards

OUT this week: 4 1/2 yards
OUT YTD: 15 3/4 yards

YTD: 45 1/2 yards IN

When I told DH he was not helping my stashbusting attempts, he just laughed. Now if I can just get him to watch the girls so I can sew for 9 hours, I might get a bust. (Really, I'm not complaining. He's a love to let me buy fabric, and I get to sew plenty. Hand-quilting is just slow, so I won't have a quilt finish for a while.)

Goals for this week:
- complete 6 charity blocks
- quilt 2 rows
Hopefully, no more fabric arrives!

Bonus goals:
+quilt another block on the quiltlet
+finish quilting 3 rows
+sew more of the Japanese blocks

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I love that you call one of your kids 'screamer'!! lol!! I remember those days.....OH!! What am I saying????? Has Dec. been gone so long I don't remember 'that' day??? ;-)

I love that you have made goals for yourself... this is something I need/should do. Right now, I am just going through a binder I made for myself of projects I want to do, so if I want to do something, I need to go through that binder. If it's not in there, it is not to be done!!! So far, so good. but to actually say "This week I will....." - nope, not there yet. Good for you making plans and doing them. I am glad your hubby supports your hobby!! that makes it so much better than when they don't. Have a great week!!

Sherry said...

I love the fabrics that you show. . the colors are really wonderful together.

Keep up the good work with the goal setting & completing. . I'm a list maker & most of the list gets done but not on a consistent enough basis.

sewkalico said...

I know what you mean about handquilting not giving you an early finish. I am handquilting something and finding it such slow going :-(
Never mind, we'll get there in the end. Great stash enhancements :-)

Lori in South Dakota said...

he sounds like a good man!

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...