Thursday, July 2, 2009

There was a Stranger in my House...

Let's call him an intruder to clarify.

Today while I was at my training and the girls were at my mom's, DH was upstairs working on his philosophy syllabus for next year. Much to his surprise, shortly after lunch, he hear the back door rattle open and water begin running in the sink. As I wasn't due home until 5 and it was around 1, he yelled down, "Katie, are you there?" No answer.

Thoroughly concerned at this point, he ran down the stairs yelling (not very nice words, I understand), and heard someone run through the house, unlock the front door, and run down the porch steps.

Can I just say I feel a little insecure about going to bed tonight? I'm glad I wasn't home, and nothing is missing, but AAHH!

DH called the police and went to talk to our neighbors. Someone was in our south neighbor's back yard before ours, and our north neighbors heard someone, but assumed it was DH. Whoever it was had put the dirty dishes in the sink and started to run water. Weird. Creepy. Really creepy. And the poor man must be mentally ill to want to wash a total stranger's dishes.

At least I can expect that he won't return, but a similar incident happened to an acquaintance in April, so you can be sure I will be checking the doors whenever James isn't home. Maybe the next time he wanders in, he won't be so nice.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

3 comments:

Mary-Kay said...

That is really creepy. I know I would be checking all the time. We spend a lot of time in our lower level and we wouldn't hear if anyone came in the front door. So we keep all our doors locked and my Mom thinks we are security junkies. Maybe I should show her your post and she would think twice about locking her doors too!

Lori in South Dakota said...

I will think it was a confused person perhaps with alzheimer's thinking they were in their own home. But I would lock my doors and be a bit paranoid too! Glad I have Ruby the quilting dog, she does bark but also would maybe lick them to death!

sewkalico said...

Not nice at all. Look after yourselves!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...