Sunday, July 10, 2011

Design Wall Monday

It's hot.  Most of my time is spent thinking about how to keep myself cool with the sewing machine spewing heat, how to keep the kids cool, especially Bear Cub Q, who only likes to nurse, currently, and how to keep the kids from destroying the basement as we stay down there to keep cool.  Whew!

I've got my Scraps to Treasures project rolling right along.  I'm planning to have the first half of the top complete before we leave for Colorado.

My first table runner is almost to top stage.  The picture is lumpy and wrinkled because it's pinned into rows.  I plan to baste it and quilt it during down time on our trip.  (Don't laugh too hard.  I can dream!)

My hand quilting project is progressing, but it is too hot when it's 100+ outside to sit under a quilt!  I am almost done with the first strip of border.  A little more circles in the border and I will be able to tackle the main blocks.  That means straight lines, which I can do mostly without marking.  I abhor marking because it either doesn't come out or doesn't stay marked long enough.  I do love hand quilting, and now that I am making progress, I am feeling better about this quilt.

Check out the other design walls at Patchwork Times.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

Alzbeta said...

Feel free to bring your quilt or anything that is too hot to do in the Kansas heat - we'll definitely have our a/c on :). I'm not sure what it's like in the new place - but it'll be running either way. (I think that you should turn the AC on in the 108 heat :). I don't want you to have a heat stroke!)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I am in Louisiana so I know HOT.

I was trying to finsih up a piece for the show next month but I couldn't hold the needle my fingers were slippery with sweat. And we have good AC!

glen

marcella said...

Your table runner is really nice though I've never heard of "down time" on vacation :-) Have a fun trip and stay cool!

Chris said...

I usually do not hand quilt during the summer either. Have a fun and safe trip to CO.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...