Sunday, July 24, 2011

Stash Report Week #30

I'm not going to bust more than I bought this year.  At all.  In fact, hell would freeze over first.  There is no excuse for this, but as I have been reviewing our budget for the coming year, it's a good think I have surplus, 'cuz next year I won't.  DH is not coaching cross country for the school next year, so we are taking a $110/month pay cut starting September 15.  That means no frivolous fabric shopping for me, no matter how spectacular the deal.  No fabric extravaganza during the shop hop.  And that is fine by me.  I don't want quilting to be all about collecting fabric and not using it.

Besides, who needs more after all the lovelies I've bought this year?  Here's a view of the last few months (yes, I have been a bad blogger):


I did visit a very lovely shop in Colby, Kansas, called the Interior Connection and Quilt Cabin.  If you are ever passing through Colby (it's on our way to Denver), the Quilt Cabin is an easy 1/2 mile north of I-70.  The inside is beautiful, if a bit maze-like, and I saw bolts and bolts of fabric that I want to have for my own (but I will have to restrain myself, won't I?).  DH loved that the owner hunts, and there was an elk she had shot on the wall.
DH insisted on taking this picture as we entered the Quilt Cottage.

On returning home from a visit to the mountains, helping my sister move, and a stalled van in the mountains (it was terrifying), I found the following produce, first for the summer:
tomatillo, zucchini, and Armenian yard-long cucumber
 It is hotter than... well, it's hot here.  105+ every day.  At 9 pm last night, it was still 103 outside.  Due to the baby developing a cough and sweating profusely at night, we have turned on the air.  Still high, but better than 92 at bedtime, at least for him.  My tomatoes look scorched, have blossom end rot, and my pumpkins are already almost ripe.

Look at these cuties, who posed while we were in Winter Park.



I think I need to go sew now.

Go check out the other stash reports on Judy's blog.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Love the pictures! Isn't it nice that you've had time to prepare for the income decline instead of it coming all of a sudden and as a surprise? I have to say that I have become a much better "home shopper" since the need arose. No more "I might have something that will work, but since I'm here, I pick up something that I KNOW will work. I now love scrappy quilts and feel that I have improved in terms of my color skills. Good luck and keep up posted on how you're doing.

Amy said...

I will have to stop at the shop in Colby next time I'm on I-70. There is a shop in Hays that is quite neat. Sorry to hear about your husband's cut in salary. I know there is alot of uncertainty.

SpinningStar said...

Great pictures - the kids sure do grow up fast,don't they.
liz

kwiltnkats said...

You have beautiful children. Hopefully you can get used to the reduction in income and still have some fun every now and then. The weather just has to break soon for all that are sweltering. Sounds like we'll be seeing some USED YARDAGE soon. Sandi

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...