Friday, October 25, 2013

Trinity's Knot

Named for a special girl, this irish chain (pattern adapted from Bonnie Hunter) finishes at a comfortable 60"x 84".
 The picture below is the most accurate representation of colors:
 The 500+ blue squares required for my 88 blocks came from my scraps and, when my scraps ran out, from my stash.  There are several blues I cut to make a backing for another scrappy quilt, and I immediately chopped the rest of each piece into 2" strips and squares.  I cut and began construction as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, in which we use scraps from the chosen "flavor of the month."
 I quilted straight lines diagonally through the chains and then felt stymied by what I should quilt in the white spaces.  I don't like lots of starts and stops when machine quilting, but neither are my free motion quilting skills very great.  In the end, I chose to quilt the words faith, hope, love, joy, truth, piety, and peace in each space.  While it would have been lovely to quilt more words, I couldn't think of more words of virtue that were five letters or less.
Even the binding is constructed from scraps, this time teals.  They go nicely with the backing, which I had purchased some time ago and just happened to be perfect for this quilt.
This quilt turned out better than I envisioned!


from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Very pretty! Love your quilted words, what a great idea. Congrats on the finish.

Live a Colorful Life said...

What a lovely quilt.

CitricSugar said...

Gorgeous Irish Chain!

Quiltbenaco said...

Bello, bello, bello!!!!
Ciao dall'Italia

Living the Lewis Lifestyle said...

Beautiful!

Beth said...

Love it. I love the patterns over on Quiltville. this is wonderful!

Janine said...

Love Irish Chain quilts. This is very pretty!

Robin said...

Lovely scrappy goodness! I especially love your idea to fill the open areas with words. Beautiful work!

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...