Friday, December 20, 2013

Challenge Quilt

A few months ago, I picked up my fat eighth roll to take part in the Wichita Modern Quilt Guild's challenge quilt.  We're part of the national Modern Quilt Guild, so this is a national to-do.

When I received the little roll, I had to admit myself uninspired.  I do not, in general, approach quilting with a broad array of fabrics.  I usually only work with a few colors, so gray, orange, turquoise, navy blue, and yellow was doing nothing for me!

Finally, after tossing around a few ideas with myself (last year I made a lovely chevron quilt), I pulled out my hexagon ruler and started eliminating fabrics.  Since I didn't have to use all the fat eighths and I could add whatever solids or Riley Blake basics I wanted, I knew I could limit my palette.

I chose grey, orange, and turquoise fabrics, paired with white, and cut hexagons and 2.5" strips.  Away we went, with a bit of a learning curve!  (Funny angles, lots of pressing...)


Once the top was assembled, quilting had me stymied.  After all, the fabric already had great visual texture, but the white was pretty flat.  An idea flitted by that I should mimic the pattern of each fabric in the white of the block, but that seemed pretty complicated.

I did it anyway.

It took me much longer than I anticipated, but I love it.  The quilting is by no means perfect, as I only marked when absolutely necessary.  Since I matched bobbin thread to fabric color, the back looks pretty spiffy too.  Marking is hard with littles around.

The quilt is flat, but my helper couldn't quite smooth it out!

I bound it in what orange I had left, so mostly dots with two strips of chevrons.

Bear Cub's trains
Finished at a nice lap size, I'm pretty happy with the results.  Perfect, no, but I definitely learned a few things and expanded my FMQ horizons!


from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

Jen Eskridge said...

That looks GREAT!

Vicki W said...

I like this quilt a lot!

Yvonne Campbell said...

The quilting and design are very nice.

Kate said...

Very fun quilt! It turned out beautifully.

Kat said...

Very nice! I like the wavy edge especially.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...