Thursday, March 19, 2015

Finished Project: Dresses

Sometimes, I have an idea, even buy the fabric, and then I procrastinate.  There are so many things to sew, and so little time... and I am afraid of garment sewing, even though I do a decent job.

The last time we went to a funeral (about three funerals ago), I found no black or even dark clothes in the girls' lineup.  I know black isn't required, but we do attempt to dress in more somber attire.  The next time I was at the quilt shop, I found a lovely black and turquoise batik that I paired with a marbled black.  I even knew what type of dress I would sew.

Huh.

Since Vicki Welsh has a UFO challenge running this year, and I don't have so many UFOs but more planned projects, I decided to participate.  It's amazing how much a deadline, no matter how self-imposed, can inspire me.  This month, I was determined to finish these dresses, as they should be quick and painless, especially after Easter sewing.

The Assistant helped with measuring and cutting, and once I had an empty bobbin to fill with black, I sewed these up in a matter of a day or two.  They could probably have better finished seams, but I don't expect them to last forever, so I decided not to be to finicky.


I still love the blue and turquoise and wish, just a bit, that I had oodles more of it.

Spunky wanted longer sleeves, and they each picked the buttons for their belts.  My button hole on my machine doesn't go as large as their buttons, so the buttonholes are less than glamorous.

Still, done is far better than fabric lying in a box, and now that I've made them, we won't have any funerals to attend for a while!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done! Done is better than perfect. I'm sure the girls aren't judging the details because they got new dresses!

Kate said...

I love that turquoise batik. I have the same problem with Drama Teen's wardrobe, not much she can wear to funeral. Come to think of it, she doesn't have much she could wear to a wedding either.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...