Saturday, August 13, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Masses of Gray

I'm writing my post Friday night with a sleeping almost-4-year-old on my lap.  I wonder how old he'll be when he finally wants to go to sleep on his own?  I'm okay with a few more years of snuggles from JoJo.  He's working hard on learning to speak, and it's a party around here when he says a spontaneous sentence.


Anyway...  I'm quilting away on my Starburst Quilt (the pattern for which can be found here).  The sashing is done.  Have you ever found a brand of thread that, as you get to the bottom 20% of the thread on the spool, breaks all the time.  Oh, Connecting Threads and their threads.  I have a love-hate relationship with it.  Needless to say, I'm relieved to have the sashing done and will be using the rest of the thread for piecing and not quilting.  Also, my machine is dying and I need to order a replacement.  Go big or go inexpensive?  I don't have time to go "test driving" with the wee ones, don't want anything computerized, and live daily with the risk that my machine will be ruined by an enterprising and always helpful JoJo.  

Thursday, I put the final stitches in the last applique block.  The original pattern is by Lizzy B Cre8tive.  Do I sash the blocks?  If so, with what color?  I've used all hand dyes for the blocks and don't have enough of any one to do a consistent sashing.  I'd prefer not to order fabric.  I do have this interesting grey batik that goes well with the three background batiks.  It would currently make a comfortable wall hanging or baby quilt, so sashing is not necessary for size.  I'm in no hurry, so we can puzzle this one a few weeks.

Finally, my yellow and grey four-patch quilt is moving along nicely.  All the big four-patches are done, and the strip sets for half the smaller blocks are sewn up.  On Saturday I'll be cutting, pinning, and cutting more to get these blocks well underway.

Be sure to check out all the other scrappy projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

10 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

Your applique blocks are so pretty together. Can't offer any advice on to sash or not to sash??? Good luck with your choices and good times with that little one.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your applique blocks! They are so bright and happy on your design wall like that! Our oldest son was like your JoJo, went to sleep the best when snuggled up with his dad. Now he's all grownup and lives far away, so I miss those snuggly times. Enjoy them while you can!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I would vote no sashing - but that is me.

Pamela Arbour said...

It looks like you have still managed to get a lot done even with an almost 4-year old. Good work!

Julierose said...

You are getting a lot done on all your projects--I use Gutterman's thread--just from JoAnne's--it never breaks on me--so far--but I have had issues with both CT's and Aurifil (gasp!! I know Everyone oohs and aaahs about it--but in my hand work it just doesn't do as well as, for instance plain embroidery thread even!!) Just me saying.
I guess you have to find the one that works for you...I think your little appliques are adorable and that sashing might really look good-- as the background is so light on them--again, just one gal's thoughts...have a great weekend..
(my son's 4-yr old daughter has issues putting herself to sleep alone, too--pretty common I think)....hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

Good luck with the sewing machine decision. I got myself a Brother last year and haven't regretted it! It doesn't do embroidery but it does more than I need. I love your applique quilt. So cheerful and child like. I'd say no sashing but do use that wonderful grey for the outer border. If you have enough of the hand-dyed fabric, maybe a thin inner border with it? But that's just me. Enjoy the sewing sessions! ;^)

Cathy said...

Lovely appliqué blocks! Skip the sashing and just sew them together into a beautiful small quilt! As for machines, if you’re going simple, just make sure it’s a good mechanical machine with metal parts inside. A Brother is good if you don’t order it from a big box store or Amazon - they usually carry the cheaper models with some plastic internal parts that do not perform well over time. I learned that the hard way before I invested in a great Bernina. Sometimes you can find a well maintained Bernina that is 10-20 years old and not computerized. As far as thread, I used to think Aurifil was great, but it breaks more often for me than Coats & Clark. I have just purchased some of Missouri Star Quilt Company’s new thread line (inexpensive), but haven’t tested it on anything yet, so have nothing to report there. But do switch brands if you’re not happy. Have a good week!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best of luck finding a new machine! Your projects are coming along nicely. I didn't get the sense that your adorable applique quilt needs sashing. Totally up to you, though!

Vicki W said...

I have a Brother machine that I love bt81068@att.net if I needed a new machine I would buy a Juki. They are making the studies that machines right now and have some good solid affordable models. Just my opinion.

Kate said...

Your applique blocks are so pretty. They remind me of watercolor drawings. I think you could sew them together just as they are.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...