Saturday, August 20, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: This and That

Oh, mending.  Why is it when I finally tackle the pile, it suddenly expands?  I found or was given multiple more pieces of clothing to mend once I began the work.  I like orderly work, such as sewing straight lines together, and mending is never orderly.  There are buttons missing, torn cords, ripped pockets, seams destroyed.  I finished it all now, and hopefully can ignore it for a few more months.

It took me four days, but I finally stitched down the binding on my Starburst quilt.  I washed it, and unfortunately, one red fabric bled a little onto the backing.  It's not too noticeable, and if I have the chance, I'll wash it again with oxyclean and see if I can wash that bit out.  The quilt finished comfortably at 66" square.  All the red and blue fabrics are now gone from my stash except for a few bits in my scraps, so this was a successful stash busting experience.




I had planned to ignore my appliqué blocks this week, but Friday afternoon I started sewing columns together.  The general consensus last week was to skip the sashing, and I like the result so far.  I found two gradient hand dyes (from my favorite fabric source) that will be used for a narrow border, followed by the grey batik.  I'll have to find something for a binding, but at least it will take me another few weeks before I need to worry about it.

Because my appliqué blocks are no longer my travel work, I pulled out the Christmas boot stockings. I think I have five done now, which leaves DH, JoJo, and the new baby.  I finished the Assistant's boot this week!  There are a lot of French knots, which I've never done before.  The next one will be easier, with a bit of appliqué and simple embroidery.  It will be blue, black, and grey.
Finally, my main grey project really leaped ahead this week.  I finished 54 of the 16-patch blocks, leaving only 19 to go.  I should easily finish those next week, as the strips sets are stitched and sub-cut.  I'm not sure how to layout this queen-sized quilt.  I may have to divide it in four and layout a bit at a time.

Friday afternoon and evening, we received 6+ inches of rain (maybe as many as 9) from 4:30 to whenever the rain stopped.  Our roads were so flooded DH couldn't get home with the big kids after going out to a movie.  Our driveway is totally washed out, so I see roadwork ahead for DH today!

Be sure to check out all the lovely purple (or grey or…) projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

9 comments:

Kate said...

Starburst turned out beautifully. Hopefully you can get out that bit of red on the background. The applique block quilt is really fun, I love the watercolor look of those blocks. Hope the flood waters have receded and that everyone finally got home.

Deb A said...

Beautiful projects and so much progress on everything. I hope your garden was not hurt with all that rain. Hope the driveway rebuild goes well.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Like the blocks together without sashing!

Mari said...

Love the Starburst quilt, and the yellow and gray look surprisingly cheerful together.

PaulaB quilts said...

The Starburst turned out beautifully, a real treasure. The appliqué blocks are so colorful and cheery. The border should be just the right touch. Congrats on the great work. I pray no one has suffered too badly from the flooding.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Looks like you've been busy this week! I enjoyed seeing how all of your projects are coming along. The Starburst quilt is beautiful! I had some red fabric run on my Crosscut quilt recently and Cynthia from Quilting is More Fun than Housework suggested washint it over again with synthropol, but I haven't tried it yet. Hopefully we can both get the red out!

gayle said...

You are so busy! I love your Starburst- it's absolutely beautiful.
(I hope the red and the driveway both turn out fine!)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray! for productivity. Good luck with the driveway repairs.

Julie in GA said...

Your Starburst quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I love that pattern, and it worked up great in red, white & blue.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...