Saturday, August 6, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Grey Skies

Purple is, unfortunately, nowhere on my radar this month.  I completed my purple and grey quilt earlier this year, and that was it for purple.  I do, someday, have a longing for a purple and blue quilt (think cold, wintry colors), but a pattern has thus far eluded me.

Instead, I plugged away at my red, white, and blue quilt for Memaw.  It's a flimsy!  Unfortunately, it wasn't until I began sewing my sashing to the blocks that I realized my star points would be lost in the background fabric of the blocks.  Duh!  I should have used the pinky red, but it was too late, as there was no more sashing fabric to be had.  Maybe I'll do something with a darker thread to make them stand out, but that's for another week.  The backing fabric is cut and ready to piece, so basting is  on my list for next week.

Additionally, I started a new quilt that's been on my list since at least the beginning of 2015.  Originally, I envisioned a giant chevron quilt in yellow and grey for my mom.  Then the reality of sewing such a quilt (with no design wall large enough) niggled at me to reconsider the pattern.  Instead, I'm sewing a variation of Mary's Easy Double 4-Patch.  I've been cutting yellow and grey solids and stitching strip sets.  My hope is to finish the giant four patches for certain, and make significant progress on the 16-patches this month.  I bought extra-wide backing earlier this year, so everything is ready to go.  My one disappointment is that I won't have enough of some of my yellows to continue them evenly throughout the quilt.  That's what happens when you work from stash and scraps, right?  I am sure the fabrics will work out in the end.

I only have two appliqué blocks left, which feels shocking!  They've been my carry along project to therapy for the last seven months, so it will feel strange not to work on them anymore.  Instead, I'll be back to my Christmas stockings, as I still need to make one for DH, the Assistant (partially finished), JoJo, and PK.  Last night, when I was inspired to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics with the kids, I pulled out the Assistant's stocking and made good progress on the embroidery.  The kids have asked to watch the taekwando competitions, so I may have plenty of hand work time this month!

Be sure to check out purple (and grey) with a touch of mossy green projects this month!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am sitting out this month's color combo, too -- and working on some of the other projects in my studio instead. Mary's pattern is a good one - and having lots of yellows instead of just one is a good thing.

Deb A said...

You have made great progress on both projects. So sad when the take with you project is near finishing.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like you got some energy back this week, and it looks like you got a lot accomplished! I love your star quilt, and yellow and gray will be a beautiful combination.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your sashing "accident" makes it look as if the central sashing was appliqued. Memaw is sure to LOVE it no matter what!! Your Mom's quilt is going to be SEW bright and cheerful. It's going to be a wonderful gift (whether your yellows make it all the way across the quilt or not!!)

Cathy said...

What a delightful quilt pattern and color combo! You have a great sense of color, so I know the yellows will sort themselves out in the end. I am also working on alternate projects this month, which actually feels nice!

Ivani said...

Your star quilt is gorgeous. And the yeloow and gray is a great promise for another beautiful quilt. Have fun watching Rio Olimpic Games with your kids!

Mari said...

I love the star quilt! The sashing looks perfect to me. We're always our own worst critics. Doing embroidery during the Olympics sounds like a great use of time--have fun!

PaulaB quilts said...

I really love your star flimsie and I don't see any problem. Have fun stitching with the Olympics.

Cathy said...

The Memaw Star flimsy is absolutely gorgeous.

Alison V. said...

Your star quilt looks amazing! That is such a cool block and I love how you alternated the colors.

Kate said...

Love your Star quilt, it's very pretty. Looking forward to seeing your yellow and gray quilt come together. Just 5 days till school starts. DT is both bummed and excited.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...