Saturday, April 1, 2017

Brick Red and Nut Brown

Despite a challenging week and almost 6" of rain, I did find some time to sew.  Two Bits and Bobs are ready to join their friends in the Bits and Bobs box.


I also took the plunge and quilted Lincoln Logs.  I used red thread, which may have been a mistake.  I used this as a practice piece to try more filler patterns, which may also have been a mistake.  Fortunately, my sister has already so sweetly asked if she could have this quilt, so unless she hates the quilting, it's okay.  I really do want to grow more comfortable with more filler patterns, but I do find my little machine makes some of them more challenging than I would like.  I'll practice again on the next quilt, and the next, and eventually I will feel accomplished!  It's bound, and short of a few threads to tie off and bury, it's good to go.  It's about 39" square, so it will make a lovely baby quilt.  I'm happy to have one more little pile of orphan blocks used instead of languishing.

Off to sort my multi-colored scraps today!  Check out all the colorful projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

13 comments:

Nell's Quilts said...

Looks like you had fun practicing the filler quilting. A great finish to orphan blocks.

Ariane said...

Your blocks look great! I love your finished quilt. Free motion quilting has a learning curve and the only way to get better at it, is by doing it. I think you did really well. Keep at it!

Marly said...

I like the way you put your orphan blocks together. That quilt looks as if this was the design from the beginning.

Ivani said...

Cute baby quilt and great use of orphan blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Good for you for keeping on with practicing your FMQ! I have trouble getting myself to do that, even though I would really like to get better at it. I think your Lincoln Logs quilt is beautiful! We have had a lot of rain here this week, too - very welcome after weeks without any precip at all. (Although if I had little ones or was still teaching, I would be frustrated at having to stay inside!)

Angie said...

Lincoln Logs looks great, despite the "mistakes" you assign to it. Kudos for trying FMQ - every bit of practice helps!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like that - a bits and bobs box!

Cathy said...

I think your Lincoln Logs baby quilt is adorable! And good for you for practicing fillers - they look great!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can see why your sister likes this quilt (because I really like how Lincoln Logs turned out, too!!) Happy sorting for April's multicolored scraps.

Chantal said...

Congrats on the lovely finish and using orphan blocks. I love the idea of the elongated 9-Patch around the center block. It's very interesting and pleasant to look at. ;^)

maggie fellow said...

Lovely quilt - I have orphan blocks that need to feel useful too.great idea

Kate said...

Lincoln Logs turned out beautifully! You've been moving along with all your projects. Stay dry, looks like we are in for a wet week!

Kathy S. said...

I've never heard of them called Bits and Bobs. Cute!

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...