Saturday, January 27, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Blue Moon

I returned to my Stained Glass Stars this week to make two more.  While I was chopping up my Vicki Welsh stash for my hexies, I cut enough 1.5” strips that it made sense to make a few more.

Most of my week was not spent on scraps, but on utilizing stash acquisitions from last summer.  I purchased a number of greens, more intended for a Christmas quilt, but which also came in handy when my oldest son Q requested a dragon quilt.  I hemmed and hawed over how to accomplish such a pattern, and finally settled on a perler bead pattern, biggie-sized.  I’m halfway through the dragon, and then will have 18 rows to add his name in, which is my current design dilemma.  In the meantime, I sew batches of strips together, subcut, and layout two rows at a time.  I’ve had a few surgical procedures, but I’ve figured them all out before I’ve sewn the rows in pairs, so there is hope for me yet!  I may try to finish this quilt for his birthday in April, or I may not.  I think it will depend on February’s scrappy color.

As my leaders and enders (at least for now), I'm sewing the squares on ends of the strips for Jared Takes a Wife.  I finished all the greens this week, so now I'm tackling the red.

Be sure to check out all the blue bits this weekend!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

12 comments:

Katie said...

That dragon is amazing! (Not that your other projects aren't great, too!) You have a lucky son!

Chantal said...

Wow! I love your blue Stained Glass Stars. Gorgeous! The new project sounds like a chore but it really looks fantastic. Good luck with keeping the rows in order. ;^)

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blue stars! And I'm amazed by your dragon!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm also amazed by your dragon! It's so fun to see how different designs can be translated into fabric!

Kate said...

That dragon is definitely fun and pretty amazing! I hope Q appreciates your efforts there. Looks like you've done really well at keeping several projects moving this week.

scraphappy said...

Love your dragon quilt! Nice progress on you blues too. Congratulations on a great month

gayle said...

I love your dragon! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
And those stained glass stars are gorgeous!

Cathy said...

Beautiful Stars!
And how creative to use a perler bead pattern to make a quilt! How cute!

The Joyful Quilter said...

BLUE and green go well together. Glad you got a bit of each sewn up!!

Mari said...

I do love those stained glass stars. They're so pretty. The dragon is pretty creative, too!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great blue blocks. Love the dragon!

Ellen said...

Your dragon is fantastic - I am looking forward to seeing it completed!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...