Saturday, January 6, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: New Beginnings

At the end of 2016, I cut all my scrappy projects out for 2017.  While at times this wasn’t the best choice, such as when I didn’t have enough (or any) of a color some months, I certainly missed all that preparing this month.  I know I will get into a groove with cutting in a month or two, but I’m not there yet.

I have three or four projects to work on, depending on the color.  This month, with blue, I’ll be making 16-patches out of my 1.5” scraps, churn dashes out of my 2” scraps, and unnamed stars from my Vicki Welsh stash.

(Sorry about the picture issues.  My photo library disappeared off my computer, my camera is still missing, and I'm not terribly savvy at the work-arounds.)

Needless to say, my blue scraps are all over the place as I find new storage arrangements for each new project.  I’m not sure how many 16-patches I’ll make each month, so all of the 1.5” blues have come out to play while I putter around.

I don’t have a plan for how many unnamed stars I’ll make each month either.  This month, I’ve cut four, and as they develop, I’ll see where they take me!

My sewing focused primarily on a new flimsy!  I had a lovely stack of charm squares from Prairie Moon Quilts, which I decided to pair with this solid tan.  The charm squares don’t really jive with the rest of my stash, and I didn’t want to go with any of my usual solutions, so I puzzled a bit.  I’m calling this block a stretched four patch, and it’s already a flimsy.  I even selected backing and binding, and will see if I have enough batting scraps to make a batting.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

13 comments:

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Good luck with your plans. I need to get my scraps under control again.

scraphappy said...

Getting everything organized and under control is a great project for the new year. Looks like you have lots of fun projects planned.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those unnamed stars are beautiful! Love the 16 patch idea!

Vicki W said...

I love that you have a "Vicki" stash!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Great idea for the charm pack you want to use up, and I love its name! It looks like it is well on the way!

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh...I'm not sure how you could cut all the pieces for your projects at one time. But I hate cutting. Sounds like you have a plan and I like the new flimsy. Looks rather vintage.

Deb A said...

What a cute little top you created from the charm pack! Sounds like you have a solid plan for the year filling in where needed. Let's hope the camera returns..... maybe the kids need to play detective and see if they can find where it might be hidden - trace it to the last time you remember using it and go from there! Good luck (might keep them occupied for 10 minutes?)

Sarah said...

I'm In awe that at the end of 2016 you cut all your 2017 fabric!

Kate said...

You've done great at getting a flimsy together already for 2018! It looks great. Looking forward to seeing your RSC projects come together in 2018.

Angie said...

Seems like you're off to a good start! It's always fun to start the new year with lots of scrappy projects in mind.

Mari said...

Wow, I really like those unnamed stars. Maybe you get to name them! Good luck with your projects!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You sound like you have a well thought out plan for the year, Katie. Best of luck with all of your projects!!

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I am still amazed at the cutting all of the fabric for a year ! :) As to this year, best of luck / sounds like you are off to a great start :)

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...