Saturday, April 28, 2018

Wrong Color Rainbow!

Well, maybe not wrong color.  A mixed up rainbow?  I’m not quite sure.

I finished 55 16-patches in green this week.  They had been left as twosies and four-patches after my accident, and since picking up pins is part of my OT, I put my fingers to work.

Next up was rigging up a new way to cut.  My left hand can’t push down on the ruler or hold a rotary cutter yet, and my elbow isn’t steady enough, so I’m using boxes of applesauce pouches to weight down the ruler.  Now my yellow churn dash blocks are cut but will wait until my fingers can manage triangles under the needles a little more reliably.

Remember last week, where I thought I’d overshot my nine-patch goal?  Hahaha!  I don’t need 45 9-patches; I need 45 sets of five 9-patches.  Therefore, I dug into the pink scraps and made some more.  I now have 77, so roughly 1/3 done.  I have star points to make for this quilt too, but since those points involve cutting into large pieces of fabric and cutting fiddly angles, they are a task best left for later.


Then, since squares are going so well, I pulled out my dark green 1.5" strips and will work on the next round of 16-patches.  As each month of the challenge rolls through, I'll try to cut fabrics in the right color, but I'll wait on the more difficult piecing until my fingers work a little better.  Right now, due to all the various bits of damage, I can't bend my fingers at the knuckle very well or move my middle finger much at all.  But I can do strips sets, so I will!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

Be sure to check out the yellow projects everyone has worked on this month!

11 comments:

Mari said...

Applesauce puches--very resourceful! It's amazing how motivated we are, isn't it? Good luck with all those 9 patches! And I hope your hand is really getting a lot better now.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We always find a way to get something done, don't we?! Looks like you're getting a lot done actually. I love the look of those little nine patches!

Cathy said...

Glad to hear that you’re able to adapt well enough to get some sewing in. It’s probably great for your OT and your well-being in general. Thinking of you and wishing you a strong and continuing recovery!

scraphappy said...

Glad you are finding ways to keep your projects moving forward. So clever!

Jennifer said...

happy to hear that you're still able to play with fabric- with only a few modifications! have fun...

Katie said...

Picking up pins as physical therapy - is your therapist a quilter? What a perfect task! And I'm glad to hear things are getting easier and that you're not letting the recovery time get you down. There's always something to do!

Julie in GA said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are finding ways to continue quilting. I love all your green 16P blocks!

Jennifer said...

Love your ingenuity and hope your recovery continues. Great greens!

Kate said...

You've been doing so well at finding things you can sew. Hope your healing is going well.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE the dark green to yellow green to blue green progression of your 16-Patch blocks!! Progress is being made in spite of your injury. Way to go, Katie!!

PaulaB quilts said...

We Quilters never quit. We may be down but not out. Take care of yourself!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...