Saturday, May 4, 2019

Slim Pickings

It turns out my orange scraps are not particularly numerous.  In fact, in my 2.5” scrap box, I only found enough scraps to make one Great-Granny Squared block.

After the single block, I moved on to assembling my “nine patch and stars” block.  I have 42 to make in total, having made all the block components in the last two years.  It won’t be a quick finish, however, as the next step will be sashing, cornerstones, and setting triangles.  I have to decide if the setting triangles will be colored or neutral, and if colored, which color?  I like these blocks so far.

I also remembered to frame out my aqua Tiny Tuesday blocks, so I'm all set on those again.

Now it's time to mow, after weeks (it feels like!) of rain and dandelions everywhere.  I'm only DH's assistant, but I'm going to get my part done before the day is much older.

Be sure to revel in some bright orange sewing this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those nine patch and stars blocks are intriguing! I'll enjoy seeing what happens as you add sashing and cornerstones. Your Tiny Tuesday blocks look wonderful, too, Katie!

Cathy said...

I agree with Diann, those are really interesting blocks! I had to bookmark them to study them more. All your blocks are looking so cheery!

Kathy S. said...

The nine patch stars are fabulous!!! I'm a big fan of 4-patches, but this blocks moved 9-patches higher on my list of leader/ender projects. I totally get that it takes a while to make the components and then assemble the blocks. I LOVE long term projects that uses little scraps. BEAUTIFUL!

Kate said...

Love those 9 patch and stars blocks! That's going to be a beautiful scrappy quilt. It has been really rainy, the river through town is really high at the moment. But it's that time of year isn't it. Hope you got your mowing all done so you can get in a bit of stitching time before the weekend ends.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Smart thinking to get your part of the mowing out of the way early, Katie (and your ORANGE block for the RSC, too!!) I'm looking forward to seeing how those dynamic 9-Patch and Stars will come together in a quilt top. What tool did you use for the triangle sections? I still need to figure out a design for my Tiny Nines...

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...