Saturday, May 11, 2019

Stitching Up a Storm

I sewed, and I sewed, and I sewed some more.  I mucked out a leaky basement and repaired the sump pump outlet on the house.  I sewed.  It rained.  We prepared as a tornado passed a few miles south.  It rained.

Did I mention it rained here?  We had over 13” from Monday to Thursday, generally in 2-4” dumpers within an hour or two.  At one point, our road and both ditches were completely filled/covered, and the culvert is exposed on our driveway.  The roads are a little rough.  At one point, our sump pump ran every 3 minutes, and since its outlet is right next to the foundation, that night ended with water in the basement.  Fortunately, water leaked into only unfinished space, so the kids and I cleaned up and diverted the outlet elsewhere.  My tomatoes may all be drowned, but all the other plants look okay.  That’s life in the spring in the Midwest!
In between storms, I kept busy with my sewing.  Without any ripping required, I finished my two Lepidoptera blocks in what felt like record time.  I’m so excited to be at the halfway point in making the blocks!  Some of them are a trifle wonky, but sashing at the end will square up a multitude of angles, so I’m pleased.  I can tell my piecing has improved.  (Although, I think it’s safe to say I will not make another of these quilts!)
I used the strip sets for the baby quilt in between butterfly pieces, and I hope to sub cut them all into block quarters before the weekend is over.  I am disappointed in the pattern I chose, as there is a ridiculous amount of fabric waste.  I hate having a pile of awkward trimmings left over, so I hope I can make use of some of them on the back.  This book will make its way to Goodwill when I’m done.
My nine patch and star blocks are coming along nicely.  I took a gander back at the inspiration quilt and realized I don’t have quite enough block pieces prepared.  I sorted through my scraps today, and once I finish with the block pieces I have already sewn, I’ll make a few more sets to round out my blocks.  This is definitely not their final arrangement; I’m slapping them up on the wall as I finish them.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Be sure to check out all the lovely orange inspiration this weekend.



6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a lot of rain! which state are you in? I know Texas has had way more rain then they need! love your butterflies and other blocks

Sandra Walker said...

Wow, those Lepidotera blocks are just so so gorgeous! Love seeing the circles appear and disappear in the quilt on the design wall. We've had a ton of rain here in southern Ontario too, but this morning it is bright sunshine, yay!

Quilter Kathy said...

WOW! Gorgeousness!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those lepidoptera blocks always make go "Wow!" It's too bad you feel there's too much fabric waste in that pattern. I also love seeing your nine patch and star project developing on the design wall - that's a really neat pattern!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Yea for halfway!!! It's such a pretty pattern. While you may never make another, this butterfly quilt is going to be STUNNING!!!

Kate said...

It has been wet the last week or so. We've had three days of sunshine in a row, which is good as I'd forgetten what it was like to not be soggy. Love your butterfly blocks. That's going to be such a fun quilt. The 9 patch stars are beautiful. Hope you've been able to enjoy the sunshine and dry out a bit.

Progress

I sorted and cut my pink scraps this week, since the machine is busy.  I also finished, before the quilting started, 147 yellow 16 patches! ...