Saturday, October 5, 2019

Autumn Weather, Autumn Shades

The last two days have been blissfully chilly, requiring jackets and rain boots and open windows.  It was a perfect beginning to a month of black, brown, and grey sewing.

I’m still muddling through “all the headaches,” but I am getting better, not worse, so I spent some afternoons sewing this week.  My PT added “epidural headache” to my list, but since she worked on it and this didn’t require new medicine, I’m glad to understand another piece to the puzzle.  All the scary medicine is over for now, and even the sinus headache Friday afternoon didn’t stop me!

First up, I finished another 60+ Garden Mosaic blocks.  I have less than 300 to go, and since I spent Thursday evening and Friday morning cutting my brown and black ones, I may have less than 200 at the end of the month.  Then I must decide if I’m making the giant quilt.  I don’t need another giant quilt.  Do I donate it to some fundraiser for church?  Give it away?  Make several smaller quilts?  I don’t know yet.
Please excuse the lighting,  It was bedtime, and this was my rare opportunity!
The two remaining seams on my Irish Chain quilt, made from fabric dyed by Vicki Welsh, took me all week.  I wanted to press each large section first, and that felt too daunting a task for much of the week.  Now I only need to press the final seams and decide how I’m going to quilt this beauty, which is certainly going on my bed.

Thursday and Friday were particularly good days for progress on my Great Granny Squared blocks.  The last one, still under my needle, will bring my total to 50.  I do believe I’ll make these into two lap quilts, which will end up about 72” square each by the time I add sashing, which will take care of two quilts for teachers.  Don’t worry; I have no intention of finishing them before Christmas, unless I feel so much better than I do now.

I did start a new quilt this week.  A woman in our parish was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and she’s close enough to our family that quilt would be appropriate.  I’m sewing together squares and bricks into rows.  I only had to cut a few new strips of teal from my stash; all the rest came from my 2.5” scrap bin!  There won’t be much pinning, and it works well in between other blocks, so it’s a low-stress, no-hurry kind of project.  I refuse to set goals for how fast it’s going to go, so it will be done when it’s done.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Be sure to see all the other beautiful projects this weekend!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Glad you've been able to get a handle on the headaches and other postpartum health issues. Love your Irish Chain! It turned out beautifully. Hope you get in lots of good stitchy time this week. And yeah for the cooler weather!

Vicki W said...

I'm so glad that your headaches are getting better! The Irish Chain is spectacular!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Irish Chain quilt is beautiful! I love the color!

Jenny said...

Such a lovely thing to do even though you have such a busy life, making a quilt for your friend going through breast cancer treatments. I had this same journey myself a couple of years ago so know how anxious she will be feeling.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your BLACK and GRAY Great Grannies look fabulous up on your design wall, Katie! SEW glad to hear that you are feeling some better. What a wonderful gift that new quilt is going to be for your friend! Deadlines? Relaxing them can be a very good thing. :o))

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...