Friday, February 11, 2011

UFO #10 Complete!

My UFO for February over at Patchwork Times was my "Foot Prints" slippers.  The pattern seemed simple, so what was slowing me down?

1. It required things other than cotton fabric (polar fleece, slipper foam, Jiffy Grip...)

2. I am SLOW when it comes to cutting out patterns.  The kids think it's a free-for-all, and want to help me by tearing.
...
So, on my first trip to the basement post-foot (it's not broken, thank you, God!), I fetched my parts and pieces.  I cut the parts, using four layers of batting rather than slipper foam.

Then I hit a snag.  The directions said that all seams would be inclosed, but I couldn't find how to attach the top and lining to the heel without a seam being exposed.  Well, heck, once one seam was exposed, who cared about the rest?  Hence, the red pair that shows the white batting.

Attempt #2, I ditched the instructions and made a fully-seam-enclosed pair of slippers using my treasured fabric.  Yummy.  They're so comfy.  Then, when DH arrived home from work, I informed him what a lousy pattern it was.

And went back one last time to read the directions.  Surely I had missed something.  Boy howdy, did I ever.  Part of the pattern pieces that you cut out are printed on the same page as the written directions, and at some point, the top part of the written directions folded back, and I didn't realize they were missing - but that would have explained my dilemma of lining, top, and heel.  Now I know, and knowing is half the battle, right?  I admit, I am chastened.

I love my slippers!  There will be more slippers in my future, but not right now.  There are other important things to do, like a princess dress for Screamer (she covets the Assistant's princess dress), Easter dresses for the girls with a matching outfit for Jimmy (if I have a pattern), and a cassock.  And I heard something about a bathroom being painted.  Maybe that's why I'm up so late tonight.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

6 comments:

Living the Lewis Lifestyle said...

You are so creative Katie...I look forward to seeing more of your creations :)

JudyCinNC said...

I think half of what quilting is all about is getting ourselves out of mistakes and predicaments. You did both. Good job. Judy C

Melinda said...

Good for you figuring it out without the directions. Just think how easy the next ones will be.

Quilter Kathy said...

They would be fabulous gifts for Christmas!

Rabid Quilter from California said...

Easter dresses. . . .ahhhhh. Some of my most wonderful memories were the Easter dresses my mom made for me. You have lucky little people if you're making them Easter dresses!

BetsyE said...

So cozy! and Cute!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...