Wednesday, November 28, 2012

the Blues

Yay for a finished quilt!  I finished the binding Friday morning at the beginning of  my really boring bed rest.
This quilt was born of a splurge purchase of a variety of Kona blues and some Ash.  The backing is a fun ABC print, apropo for a first grade teacher.

This is the third year I've made the Assistant's teacher a quilt.  Sometimes they're for Christmas, sometimes they're for the end of the year.  This year, it might be a pre-Advent gift, just to make sure it doesn't get lost in the post-Christmas, post-baby chaos that will be January.

Why am I calling it the Blues?  The Assistant won't be at the Catholic school she's attended for three years since we moved this summer and it's a 40-minute drive as opposed to a closer Catholic school (only 15 minutes straight down the road).  Next year, Spunky and the Assistant will have a new school and new set of teachers.

Besides, it's a blue quilt!

The pattern was inspired by Cherry House's book City Quilts, particularly by City Green.  No, it looks nothing like it.  It was inspired.  I'm not good at following directions.

I agonized for several weeks over the quilting of this top.  I like hand quilting, but didn't know what I'd do.  A meander, I though, would break up the lines of color too much, as well as perhaps show more of the unevenness of some of my sashing strips.  Finally, I settled on a wave across the quilt, keeping with the emphasis of the color strips and providing some lovely texture.

I love it!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

(and come Friday, this will be linked to AmandaJean's blog!)

2 comments:

Vicky said...

That's a very eye-appealing quilt! Your quilting softens the squares just a tad and gives it movement! Great job!

sewinglady said...

You did a great job with the quilt. Love the blue colors too.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...