Sunday, November 25, 2012

Life's Little Happenings...

Three weeks ago, I STUPIDLY met up with some poison ivy.  I knew it was there, thought I was careful enough, and never again will I believe in "careful enough."

A week ago, I saw my OB for my 32 week checkup, and he prescribed Prednisone to help with the inflammation.  It caused some sleepless nights, but what's new about that?  I can always tell when a medical person has poison ivy: either they are immediately deeply sympathetic (they've had it), or they tell you to put more cortisone cream on it (they haven't.  Maybe they should roll in it and treat it only with cortisone cream.).

I thought I was on the upswing until my entire calf muscle began taking on an angry red color and my leg from the knee down began swelling like a camel's hump as soon as I had been up for an hour.  Only an entire night in bed would bring down the swelling.  My mom, a nurse, had been keeping an eye (both eyes, really) on my lack of progress, and on Thanksgiving told me I needed to go back to one of my doctors, as she suspected a brewing case of cellulitis.

Being the no-medicine-if-possible, path of least resistance person that I am, I scoffed until I began to read up on cellulitis. If it entered my bloodstream, I could end up in the hospital with an IV.  And remember, I'm pregnant, so this could also bring on early labor.  My younger sister had her last child at 33 weeks, and even with minimal complications, it was a long time before Nuggette came home.  Dang.

Any holiday weekend is a terrible time to find a doctor.  Needless to say, the nurse on call for my OB had never had poison ivy and blew me off.  Fortunately, our family doctor's practice had an urgent care clinic.  I'm now on my second round of steroids plus a round of antibiotics.  In order to manage the swelling, my mom has insisted I go on temporary bed rest.

Boring.  Boring.  Boring.  Not to mention hard to do with three kids running around, a busy husband, and in-laws in town.

Now to survive until Monday, when I'll see my OB and hopefully be told the lack of swelling means I can get up and around more.

And it's all my own STUPID fault.  Lesson learned.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

I am so sorry to hear this! I do hope you are better soon. I hope you have planned lots of quilts while you have been resting.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...