Monday, November 19, 2012

Scrappy Strings

 This quilt top, approximately 50" x 68", was a long time in the making!
Every year, I try to make one charity quilt.  Sometimes I have an intended recipient, sometimes I don't.  This year, I had no plan when I started this quilt.

I cut 8.5" squares of remnant batting, sorted out the very light and dark green, blue, and purple scraps from my scrap bags, and began piecing.  I won't do it this way again… the batting stretched and distorted too much!  The pattern is from one of Bonnie Hunter's books, and I used it as my leader/ender project.

I don't think I like piecing with strings/ strips like this.  It just wasn't my cup of tea to have to press, sort, trim, over and over, then sort the trimmings to see what could be used in another block.  I'd rather do the cutting in one big batch and know what will be left.  Still, the quilt turned out better than expected, even with my wonky quilting (I was trying to have a more open quilting pattern, but that means it's a little… wonky!).

Now I need to decide its future home.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.  I'd prefer a local-ish charity/person in need, as shipping is costly!

My next leader/ender project, possibly also destined to be a charity quilt, is spools, a la Bonnie Hunter as well.  I already have a vision of the next one after that too!  But one quilt at a time, especially since there are only seven weeks left until Baby 4's due date!

I should also note: this quilt is #2 on my Short List.  Now on to quilting #3!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

Kerstin said...

I think it turned out great for something made out of scraps. My Modern Quilt Guild (San Diego) donated quilts to the UCSD NICU, maybe you have a local hospital that is in need as well?

Cathy Tomm said...

Great star quilt. Have fun with the spools, I have been using then lately, they are fun.

danelleu said...

Might I suggest St. Patrick school's steak dinner auction? It's held in March and the proceeds from the auction go to benefit the school. I would be more than willing to help it get into the right hands to avoid shipping. That is a gorgeous quilt- you are very talented!

hilary said...

If you have a Ronald McDonald house in town, they always have a need. Also, my favorite is the woman's abuse home.
Another great one is your local firefighters. Our guild makes quilts for them to take in their engines. So many times its late and cold and people leave with only nightgowns on. A quilt is greatly appreciated. Those are a few. I also like to make a quilt for all the bedrooms in our Habitat homes.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...