Friday, November 2, 2012

Scrap Taming

Recently, I realized I had not trimmed down scraps and organized them since before our move in July.  In reality, it had probably been April since I last sorted out my scraps, and the drawer containing them all was overflowing.

Add to that my desire to join in Bonnie Hunter's spools as my leader and ender project since my string flimsy is waiting to be quilted.  Besides that, the string flimsy resulted in a gallon-size bag of 1", 1.5", 2", and 2.5" strips needing to be returned to their proper bags.

Ay-ay-ay.  I have a mess.

This bag was overflowing with scraps in various stages of needing trimming.  I can recognize the projects most of them came from, and I'm enjoying selecting which scraps are long enough to cut the materials for a spool.

My spools will all have white, cream, or light gray backgrounds.  I was much more lenient in my string flimsy, but I would like to use some medium value fabrics, and I can't do that if I allow too much variety in my background.

I love keeping scraps... I love the lack of waste...  but I have a hard time remembering to trim AND remembering to use them.  Then there's the problem of not having a cutting table (I sit on the floor and use the coffee table in the play room), which is compounded by my bulging belly, and the mess has grown!

Often times, I find that patterns that purport to be scrappy require too much of any given fabric for my scraps to work.  Most of my scraps are really scraps... short strips, not long enough to count for much.  I'm even having a little trouble cutting spools, as many of my 1.5" strips aren't long enough.  Oh, well.  I'll progress as far as I can, and they'll be find for leaders and enders in between other projects.

What do you make with your scraps?  Do you bother to keep scraps?

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Lori said...

yes--and I dig through them regularly. Henrietta takes all the ones small enough to be 1.5" I use some for the bits of the wedding ring quilt.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...