Thursday, October 25, 2012

String Flimsy

I always think it's funny how I rarely have one quilt top finished at a time.  Usually, there's a rush, and I finish two or more all at once, or close to one another.

This flimsy is my third in a week.  It's been my leader and ender for a long time.  Finally, I grew tired of sorting through the strings and trying to keep them tidy, so I decided I had enough to at least lay out and see where I was.  When I laid out the block quarters, I discovered I only needed 3 more to make a 3x4 layout, so I made 3 more and... here we are!


This design is adapted from Bonnie Hunter and her Scraps and Shirttails book.  My blocks are slightly larger, partly because I don't read directions well, and I'll be skipping the border.  It's going to be a donation quilt (to where, I don't know yet.  Any suggestions?).  The planned backing is a rather boring brown because I didn't have anything else that wouldn't look odd with the very scrappy front.  Besides, it's more masculine than most of my quilts, and brown diamonds will follow well.

Halloween costumes and a few orders for my shop come first, then I'll be basting and quilting!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Susana Neiger said...

This is beautiful! I always admire string quilts, but I don't make them often. I love Bonnie Hunter's pattern/scrap ideas, too. Great work!

Laurie said...

This turned out great...I have lots of light scraps. Would love to do something great with them...

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...