Thursday, October 4, 2012

Spunk

This quilt began long ago and far away, two years ago this week.  I began collecting red and turquoise fabrics for the Screamer (who I think I should call Spunky now, as she has outgrown being the screamer) for her "big girl" bed quilt.  It was quilt shop hop weekend, so I visited numerous shops and found a great selection.

Months passed.  Minimal work was done as other quilts took priority.  We put our house on the market, took it off, and put it on again.  Spunky chose the layout for the blocks in a manner I desperately wanted to rearrange, but it's her quilt.


She requested ROSES in turquoise and orange for the quilting pattern.  Roses?  Of course, she had no idea how much work she created with that request.  I created my own stencil and opted to quilt from the back in order to see the stencil markings.


Then, with the intense morning sickness that accompanies all my pregnancies, I put aside the quilting for something cooler.  We moved.  We unpacked.  That quilt was haunting me.

Bonnie Hunter, for September as National Sewing Month, invited others to join in a challenge of sewing with needle and thread (by hand) for an hour a day.  Seeing this as the perfect time to tackle Spunky's quilt, I dove back into my hand quilting.

Finally, finally, the quilt is done.  In honor of Spunky's new nickname and her spunk in tackling all the challenges life throws at her, the quilt is named Spunk.

The back has signatures from family and friends, and when Spunky's classmates can write their names, I'll bring her quilt to school for her class to sign.



The binding is a lovely gradient from Vicki Welsh.  If you've never bought any of her hand dyed fabric, please do so.  The colors are luscious and the fabric a joy to use in quilts.

(I'm linking up to Crazy Mom's finish it up Friday!)

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

3 comments:

Alzbeta said...

I love, love, love the color combo (it's so, so like Spunky)! I also love that she arranged it; because, again, it's so like her (even though I know your color wash would have been lovely)!

Vicki W said...

I agree, I love this color combo too. What a fun quilt for a spunky girl!

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

So nice! Thank you so much for sharing!

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...