Monday, October 22, 2012

Baby Quilt!


On my design floor, I have a scrappy quilt for my new niece, Lil Bit, who is due to make an appearance in February.



Spunky and the Assistant have been collaborating, choosing turquoise, pink, and purple fabric from their fabric bin to include in the project.  Their fabric has outgrown the bin, even with my periodic culling of tiny pieces, so I opted to use their fabric as a gift to their new cousin.  Spunky has been especially thrilled to sort and select fabrics for ironing, and following along with my piecing closely.

Ordinarily, I would attempt to make the scraps fit into a nice pattern... stars, square in a square, or some other recognizable pattern, but that's not how Spunky works.  Spunky, if you remember, selected the layout for her own quilt in a manner that defied every organizational nerve in my body, but it's her quilt, right?

I'm hoping to finish the top this week so that I can pin baste two quilts (this top is ready to go too).  Then, when I set up my machine to quilt, I will be more productive.  I'm always reluctant to take the time to change needles and feet, so try to wait for two quilts rather than just one.

Before any quilting can take place, however, I have to finish a special order twirly skirt!

Would you put anything on the blue spacer strips?  They stand out more than I expected, but I thought the quilt needed a... um... quiet space for the eyes to rest!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

Pattilou said...

That looks like a fun quilt. Many of mine have a similar look. I love making my own designs--and it looks like you do too! Fun!!!

Millie said...

I'd put a vine pattern, simple, but still drawing the eye through the space.

Alzbeta said...

I like all the crazy... I mean, I think I'd even like it without the "spacers"! Spunky and I must be a lot a like :). I'm pretty sure Lil' Bit is going to adore her quilt :).

Gari in AL said...

I really like non-traditional baby quilts (unlike the one I am making right now). I think the next one I make will be more like yours.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...