Friday, November 9, 2012

Week in Review

Saturday, I was able to meet up with several other members of the Wichita Modern Quilt Guild for a sew-in.  Rather than bring my machine, I opted for a cutting mat, rotary cutter, and my overflowing bag of scraps.   I made excellent progress, as Sunday morning I sorted the remaining scraps and haven almost empty bag!  I will get to the remaining bits and pieces soon, but my little basket of spool pieces was overflowing, so I'm don't until I make a few spools.

Another member and I have decided to tackle Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt together.  She has a newborn right ow, and I probably will in the middle of making the quilt, so neither of us will be critical if the going is slow.  In checking out my stash, I found 0 black-on-white prints and few apple greens.  I have a lovely piece of gray, but there isn't enough of it.  A little shopping has taken care of all but the grey!

Baby Four is due in nine weeks and still has no quilt, so I pulled fabrics, cut, and began sewing.  As I type, I have the blocks pinned and ready for sewing.  Once his top is done and basted, I will have  THREE quilts awaiting quilting, so that will be my next project!

I had great plans for quilting and binding this week, but... Man makes plans and God laughs... Although I don't really believe God was laughing at what happened.  Monday night, the Assistant, while preparing her lunch, stepped on a piece of glass that ended up requiring two surgeries, two different emergency rooms, and an overnight stay in the hospital to remove.  What a nightmare! My DH earned some time off of purgatory as he navigated her care at the hospitals, even thinking to contact our family doctor to have some help in making decisions.

Now, Thursday night, I have a whole new appreciation for keeping an energetic six year old off her feet so her incision can heal.  My assistant is quite a trooper.  She didn't complain in the hospital, or even about missing her first art class, and slogged through the piles of homework so it would be done (even though her teacher is VERY accommodating).  It's just a matter of time till her bandage is off and life can proceed.

ETA:  Now, Friday afternoon, I have a finished top, albeit with a rather unattractive picture.  The wind is blowing, the sun is setting, and my kids are restless!  It is flat!


from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Krista Schneider said...

way to finish your quilt top! looks great! have fun with those restless kiddos :D

Lori said...

You have had a very busy week. Scraps tamed, new quilt planned, medical emergencies handled. Even put together a top. Homework at six yo--LOL!! Nine weeks and counting--I remember this from Baby Q!!

Wind is howling here--and it even rained a bit earlier. We had thought it had forgotten how. I loved the "God laughs" line.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...