Friday, December 12, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Cutting, Quilting, Cutting

Miles and miles of cutting happened this week.  At least, that's how it feels.  In order to know I have set aside enough scraps for a queen-sized rainbow Carrie Nation quilt, I've been cutting all my squares in advance.  Then, as Miss G becomes more mobile, (don't worry, it's not happening yet... Although I've caught her rolling over a few times), I won't need to fret about the rotary cutter and her exploring fingers.  Also, I don't want to sew and sew, only to discover I'm short when I'm ready to assembly blocks.  Just in case you're wondering, I need 1248 white squares in both 1.5" and 2.5".  I've cut all the colored squares but am still short several hundred white squares in each size.

In the quilting phase of my life, I made short work of quilting the Assistant's scrappy quilt.  Then I received the teachers' newsletter, in which they respectfully request no personal Christmast gifts.  What???  We've worked long and hard on the quilt, and the Assistant was pretty upset when I told her that her teachers requested no gifts.  I think we'll give them quilts anyhow, with a note that says they can donate them to a charity of their choice if they so choose.  Now I'm struggling to find time to stitch down the binding.  I'll get there, just slower than I wanted!

Then I cut some more.  Really, I worked on these scraps at the same time as the squares.  These triangles are leftovers from Scraps to Treasures challenges of years past.  I'm not sold on the final outer border, especially since I'll have to cut some scraps to make it work, but I'll live with it for a while before I decide.  I'll probably assemble this quilt a little faster than one color a month so the kiddos don't knock off all the triangles too many times!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
Katie Z.


 


13 comments:

Kate said...

That's a lot of cutting! The scrappy star is beautiful!

LA Paylor said...

can you imagine saying no to a quilt!! I guess they were told from on high not to accept gifts as we were told being State of Fl employees working within the school system. As if children would bribe us! LeeAnna at Not afraid of color

scraphappy said...

You could always save the quilt for just a little bit and call it another gift -- birthday, spring break, end of year. I can't imagine the teacher wouldn't appreciate a gift so personally chosen and made. LOVE the star! What a beauty that will be. I think the border looks great so far. Really carries the colors out. I'm sure it will all come together in time though. Glad you are getting caught up on cutting, the sewing will be easy after all that work.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the rainbow star... what a great idea!
I linked to your CN quilt posting in my blog today!

Jennifer said...

lovelovelvoe your rainbow star! it looks great- and inspiring!

Cathy said...

I love the Rainbow Star too. And kudos to your for planning ahead by doing all that cutting.

Deb A said...

My wrist hurts just reading of all that cutting! Love the bright star. Bummer on the gift....I'd sneak it in as a 'New Year' gift =)

Ellen said...

The scrappy star is wonderful! When I make a quilt I really like to have all the cutting done ahead of time too.

Mlada said...

It's okay to give them the quilts. They just don't want a. kids or parents to feel obligated to give gifts so that they b. end up with 500 candles and 200 gift baskets of lotions.

Marly said...

Wonderful scrappy rainbow star; a great use for tiny cut off triangles.

Angie said...

Love the rainbow star - and I definitely like the border!

Nell's Quilts said...

The rainbow star is delightful. Great use of all those little bits. What a marathon session you've had. I'm tired just thinking about all that cutting.

Cathy Tomm said...

I would still give the quilt to the teacher. I can think of a few I should have given to teachers. Love the star.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...