Saturday, December 27, 2014

Scrappy Wrap Up

Not much here...

I finally finished a hooded towel for Bear Cub.  It ended up being a blue turtle since the only new towels I had were blue or pink or white, and I only had a hand towel for the blue.  He was very happy to open it on Christmas morning even though, on seeing the roll, he knew exactly what it was.

The 9s and 6s top is basted, and I began quilting Friday afternoon.  Much of my normal sewing time has been sucked up by the Assistant's recently acquired Monopoly obsession.  I have (reluctantly) thrashed her twice.  She wouldn't end the game when I offered, so I had to thoroughly wipe her off the board.  I felt bad, but I helped her frequently along the way, and she won't learn the game if we don't play "for real."

My finishes for 2014 have been pretty satisfying, even if I did feel a bit of pressure to finish some of them early, due to the arrival of Miss G in October.  Fortunately, she's a placid baby and let's me sew.

There was "Collaboration," arranged and pieced into rows by the Assistant, then finished by me.  And before that was the row quilt for Bear Cub Q, backed with airplanes.  I finished a scrappy baby quilt I cut several years ago.  The Rainbow Scrap Sampler had a few hiccups of my own making, but the blocks were beautifully chosen by Angie.  The first Carrie Nation (of what is apparently becoming a series for me, as there are two more in the works!)  I think the only other scrappy finish (not that this wasn't enough, but I've been sorting through blog archives and enjoying the look back over the year) was a baby quilt for Miss G.  The Assistant and I hand-pieced the front out of scraps.  Spunky laid out some abandoned rainbow blocks for a beautiful backing!

Next year's quilts will include a queen-sized Carrie Nation (already cut!) as well as a donation quilt for my altar society guild (laid out in the above link).  I'm also trying to exhaust a bag of triangle scraps this year, so a quilt out of these bits is in the works.  I think, when I have time, I'll also work more on my Omigosh-ish bits.  They're so patiently waiting!  I'm making 16-patches that finish at 4".  There will need to be plenty of these to make a great quilt!  There will be a few zigzag quilts.  I'm sure there are other things...

I will be trying to use more stash this year, as the boxes are full and there's a stack waiting on the counter to find homes.  Since I don't really want to add more boxes, it's time to use some fabric up!  Of course, backings for all the planned rainbow scrap challenge quilts will make a dent, and I think I'm going to suck it up and not by fabric (except for my birthday) for a bit.

Be sure to check out all the other lovely finishes and plans for the old and new years!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

scraphappy said...

Looks like a great year ahead. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Nell's Quilts said...

Great to have a plan and not have to think about what to work on when you have a minute. I've loved seeing all your work this year. Enjoy the Monopoly games.

Kate said...

You made some fun and beautiful quilts this year. Sounds like you have a great plan for next year.

I'm with you, there needs to be more fabric out the door and less in!

Sheila said...

Beautiful, colorful finishes this year! I look forward to seeing what you do with colorful scraps and stash in 2015.

Angie said...

Sounds like you have some fun plans for 2015 quilting - looking forward to seeing your quilts come to life!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...